Churchill, Dulaney Share State Title

The No. 4 Churchill High boys soccer team left the Maryland 4A state title game last night with the champions' trophy and without smiles on their faces. The Bulldogs were named 4A co-champions with Dulaney of Timonium after the two teams played to a 1-1 tie following regulation and two 10-minute overtimes before 3,000 at the University of Maryland-Baltimore County.

During the awards ceremony, several Churchill players stared glumly at the turf. Churchill (14-2-2) received the trophy because it had been designated the home team. Dulaney (15-1-1) which celebrated on the sidelines at game's end, will receive a winner's trophy later.

"We are all disappointed," Churchill senior midfielder Jon Hecht said. "When we lost the state title game last year, I vowed to myself I would come back here and win one and we did not do that. Maybe one day I will be able to look back on this and be proud, but not right now."

Churchill took a 1-0 advantage after Dulaney failed to clear a corner kick by Jon Mayo and Bulldogs junior fullback Bryson Keenan knocked a loose ball past goalkeeper Nick Warner for a goal with 30 minutes left in the first half.

Dulaney tied the score at 1 with 30 minutes remaining in regulation after midfield Mike Hoeck's low 20-yard shot beat Churchill goalie Adam Grossman. Dulaney nearly took the lead in the 74th minute when forward Steve Toutsis had an open header on goal, but Grossman tipped the shot and junior sweeper Scott Goldberg cleared the ball inches before it went in the goal.

Churchill switched to a three-forward attack in overtime, as opposed to the two forwards it used in regulation, while Dulaney put most of its players on defense. But neither team was able to mount a serious scoring attack in the extra periods.

-- Christian Swezey

Wilson, T. Roosevelt Advance to Final

The Wilson and Theodore Roosevelt boys soccer teams used clutch performances at the penalty spot to earn D.C. Interscholastic Athletic Association semifinal victories.

Top-seeded Wilson (13-1), the five-time league champion, earned a 2-1 victory over Cardozo behind junior forward Amir Lowery's controversial penalty kick midway through the second half. The Clerks were called for a hand ball in the box that they protested to no avail.

T. Roosevelt (8-4-1) eliminated host Bell Multicultural on penalties, 1-1 (5-4), for the second straight year and will get a rematch with Wilson in Saturday's championship game at 11 a.m. at RFK Auxiliary Field.

-- Brian Straus