Montreal snapped a six-game road winless streak as Sergei Zholtok and Patrick Poulin scored goals less than four minutes apart in the first period to trigger a 5-3 victory over the Kings last night in Los Angeles.
Montreal's win was overshadowed by a frightening upper back injury to leading goal-scorer Brian Savage, who was wheeled off the ice on a stretcher and was hospitalized after taking a thunderous check from the Ian Laperriere in the second period.
The victory was Montreal's third in its last 14 games.
* FLYERS 4, LIGHTNING 1: Eric Lindros and Daymond Langkow scored two goals apiece and rookie Brian Boucher made 17 saves as Philadelphia won at home.
Eric Desjardins added three assists, giving him 300 for his career, as the Flyers (11-7-3) extended their home unbeaten string to six games. Philadelphia is 11-2-2 after opening the season 0-5-1--the worst start in franchise history.
* MAPLE LEAFS 4, RANGERS 3: Igor Korolev scored at 1 minute 16 seconds of overtime to lift host Toronto in the NHL's inaugural Hockey Hall of Fame game.
The night featured a pregame tribute to Hall of Fame inductees Wayne Gretzky, Scotty Morrison and Andy Van Hellemond. Gretzky received a 90-second standing ovation. The three will be formally inducted into the Hall of Fame on Monday.
* OILERS 2, RED WINGS 1: Alex Selivanov scored his NHL-leading 15th goal to lead Edmonton at home. Detroit's Steve Yzerman became the fifth player to reach 1,500 points with an assist on Mathieu Dandenault's goal with eight seconds remaining. Yzerman has 599 goals and 901 assists.
* HURRICANES 1, STARS 0: In Raleigh, N.C., Paul Ranheim scored his first goal in 27 games and Arturs Irbe recorded his 21st career shutout to lift Carolina.
The Hurricanes ran their unbeaten streak to four (3-0-1). The loss dropped the Stars (8-9-3) under .500 for the first time in more than two years.
* PANTHERS 2, PENGUINS 1: Mike Wilson scored at 2:57 of overtime to give host Florida its fifth victory in the last six games.
* DEVILS 3, SENATORS 1: Rookie sensation Scott Gomez set up a goal and scored the game-winner in the third period as New Jersey extended its home unbeaten streak to 10 games.
* SABRES 4, THRASHERS 3: Wayne Primeau scored two goals and assisted on another by Stu Barnes, and Buffalo withstood a late rally to win at home. It was the Sabres' second victory in two nights over the expansion Thrashers.
* SHARKS 1, BLUES 1: In St. Louis, Michal Handzus scored his ninth goal of the season and Roman Turek made 19 saves as the Blues extended their unbeaten streak to five games.
* CANUCKS 3, PREDATORS 1: Alexander Mogilny scored an unassisted goal with 7:34 left to secure Vancouver's win in Nashville.
* COYOTES 3, BLACKHAWKS 1: Todd Gill scored his first goal for Phoenix to break a third-period tie and lift the host Coyotes to their third straight win.