Steve Yzerman scored his 600th goal in Detroit's 4-2 victory over visiting Edmonton last night to became the 11th NHL player to reach the milestone.
The Red Wings' captain scored on a power play at 12 minutes 30 seconds of the first period. Yzerman took a pass from Nicklas Lidstrom, skated up the goal line and lifted a shot that bounced off the back of goalie Tommy Salo's legs and into the net.
"I just picked up a loose puck," Yzerman said. "Ideally, I would have drawn it up a little prettier than that. But I've gotten some lousy goals over the years, too."
Yzerman had topped 900 assists last week. He joins Wayne Gretzky, Gordie Howe, Marcel Dionne and Mark Messier as the only NHL players with at least 600 goals and 900 assists. Yzerman has 1,503 points, placing him seventh on the career list.
* FLYERS 3, MAPLE LEAFS 2: Mark Recchi's goal with 51.5 seconds left in overtime gave Philadelphia the victory over visiting Toronto. The goal salvaged a game for the Flyers in which they lost a two-goal lead late in the third period.
* CANUCKS 2, BRUINS 2: Steve Heinze scored his sixth goal of the season at 7:47 of the third period, lifting Boston to the tie against visiting Vancouver.
The Bruins are 11-2-2 in their last 15 games. Goalie Byron Dafoe, who made 15 saves for the Bruins, is 6-2-1 since ending his holdout.
* MIGHTY DUCKS 4, STARS 2: With Teemu Selanne scoring three goals, Anaheim earned its first victory at Reunion Arena in Dallas since 1993.
* PENGUINS 5, SENATORS 0: In Pittsburgh, Jaromir Jagr scored three goals in the first period against Ottawa. Jagr also earned his 900th career point on an assist of Matthew Barnaby's goal.
* BLUES 2, SABRES 0: Mike Eastwood scored a goal and assisted on another by Lubos Bartecko as visiting St. Louis snapped Buffalo's three-game winning streak.
* PANTHERS 6, RANGERS 2: Host Florida scored four goals in an 11-minute span in the second period and Trevor Kidd made 39 saves against New York.
* HURRICANES 3, LIGHTNING 3: Robert Kron scored early in the third period, and visiting Carolina remained unbeaten in its last 10 games against Tampa Bay. Carolina defenseman Paul Coffey had two assists, giving him 1,492 career points. He is two points behind former Penguins star Mario Lemieux, who is eighth on the NHL career list.
* COYOTES 7, AVALANCHE 0: In Phoenix, Jeremy Roenick scored three goals for the second straight night. He has eight points in the last two games, and leads Phoenix with 14 goals in 18 games.