Southern Methodist's Karlin Kennedy scored 25 points and pulled down 12 rebounds to lead the Mustangs to a 77-62 victory over George Washington in the SMU Hoops for the Cure Classic final yesterday in Dallas.
D-dra Rucker added 19 points, and Katie Remke recorded 15 rebounds for the Mustangs, who improved to 3-0. The Colonials dropped to 2-2.
George Washington's Elisa Aguilar and Cathy Joens each scored 13 points and were named to the all-tournament team.
Leslie Carlson also scored 13 points for the Colonials, who trailed by one point at halftime.
George Washington made just 6 of 21 three-point attempts, had 24 turnovers and shot 40 percent from the free throw line. The Colonials were outrebound 46-34, including a 21-14 margin offensively.
* MARYLAND 82, COPPIN ST. 65: Freshman Vicki Brick had 19 points, and three other players scored in double figures for the Terrapins in the opening round of the Terrapin Classic at Cole Field House.
Maryland advanced to today's championship game to face UNC Charlotte, which held off West Virginia, 52-50, in overtime. Coppin State and West Virginia will play in the consolation game at 2 p.m., and the championship game is scheduled for 4.
Maryland (2-1) trailed Coppin State, 25-16, midway through the first half as the Lady Eagles (0-1) hit 4 of 5 three-point attempts. The Terrapins, however, ended the half on a 29-6 run.
Brick, who didn't start but played 32 minutes, had 14 points and five steals in the first half for the Terrapins. She finished with seven steals and nine rebounds. Senior guard Tiffany Brown had 16 points, and forward Deedee Warley and center Branka Bogunovic both had double-doubles.
* GEORGETOWN 87, LAFAYETTE 43: Four players scored in double digits to help the Hoyas roll at McDonough Gym. Junior Katie Smrcka-Duffy led with 20 points, and junior Porshia Jones had the first double-double of her college career with 12 points and 11 rebounds.
* TEXAS 78, VIRGINIA 73: The Cavaliers' rally from an 11-point halftime deficit fell short in the second round of the Rainbow Wahine Classic in Honolulu. Forward Schuye LaRue led the Cavaliers (1-2) with 24 points and 14 rebounds. Texas (3-1) was led by Edwina Brown's 29 points and nine rebounds.
* OREGON 73, VA. TECH 53: The No. 21 Hokies couldn't rally from an 11-point deficit at halftime and fell to the No. 16 Ducks in the final of the Pepsi Shootout in Eugene, Ore.
* S. UTAH 65, HOWARD 54: Asia Petty led the Bison (0-3) with 11 points, and Terina Screen had eight points and nine rebounds against the Thunderbirds in the consolation game of the Pepsi Shootout.
* LA.-LAFAYETTE 72, NAVY 57: Erica Hayes's game-high 25 points and 15 rebounds were not enough for the Midshipmen (2-3), who shot 21.2 percent in the second half after being tied at halftime in Lafayette, La.
CAPTION: Nicole Strange, right, steals ball from Alana Lambert of Howard, which was no match for No. 16 Oregon in the semifinals of Pepsi Shootout Friday night.