George Washington freshman guard SirValiant Brown's three-point attempt with five seconds remaining caromed off the rim, ending the Colonials' chances of sending the game into overtime. Brown broke a Smith Center record with 42 points but was unable to lift his team to a victory as George Washington lost to Siena, 94-91, before 3,866 last night.

The Colonials (4-5), whose 14-game home winning streak ended, have dropped two in a row following their impressive win against Maryland in the championship of the BB&T Classic last weekend. Siena (7-1) has won its last six games.

Three minutes 20 seconds into the second half, George Washington Coach Tom Penders was ejected from this erratic and sloppily played game. The teams combined for 69 personal fouls--also a Smith Center record--and five technicals. Seven players fouled out of the game.

"It was kind of frustrating," Penders said. "That had to be the longest game, the longest 40-minute game, I've ever been around. Of course, I wasn't around at the end."

Penders, who before the game received a commemorative basketball from Athletic Director Jack Kvantz for winning his 500th career game Nov. 27 against South Florida, was ejected by referee Joe Mingle after the coach's outburst following consecutive personal and technical fouls on Brown.

"I wanted to get a tech," Penders said. "I just thought I could get the crowd into it and maybe pick our team up. I should not have been thrown out. I went out there [to say], 'What's going on?' There's no reason to throw me out."

Siena freshman guard Prosper Karangwa was driving toward the basket when Brown fouled him. Brown reacted strongly to the foul and was given a technical by Mingle. Penders leaped off the bench, took off his suit coat, flung it to the floor and walked onto the court. Mingle immediately assessed Penders with two technicals and ejected him.

"What basically happened was a referee who I thought had an attitude and was vindictive the entire evening just took it upon himself to throw me out of the game," said Penders, who added he would send a tape of the game to the Atlantic 10 office for review.

The technical fouls were part of a 9-0 run by the Saints, who pulled to a 68-52 lead. George Washington chipped away at Siena's lead then went ahead when Brown followed up his missed shot to give the Colonials an 82-80 advantage with 4:16 remaining.

However, that lead was short-lived. After George Washington junior guard Bernard Barrow picked up his fifth foul with 3:55 remaining, the Colonials' offense sputtered. The Saints went on an 8-0 run to reclaim the lead.

Brown, who made 11 of 30 field goal attempts, also tied Mike Brown's single game Smith Center free throw record by making 16 of 18 from the foul line.

The Colonials held a 15-12 lead when Siena Coach Paul Hewitt received a technical 7:11 into the game. Hewitt apparently was upset that a charge was not called on Chris Monroe as he drove the lane.

Brown's three-pointer put George Washington back into the lead at 35-33, but Brown fouled Marcus Faison (18 points) as he was making a three-point basket on the other end. Faison missed the free throw, but that basket and a technical on the Colonials' bench spurred a 17-6 run by the Saints, who led 54-45 at halftime.

Junior guard Mike King injured his right shoulder working through a screen during the first half and did not return. He sat on the bench, wearing an ice pack most of the game. His shoulder will be X-rayed on Monday.