Mount Union's NCAA-record 54-game winning streak ended yesterday with a 24-17 overtime loss to Rowan in the NCAA Division III semifinals in Alliance, Ohio.

The Purple Raiders had not lost since Dec. 2, 1995, when they were beaten 20-17 by Wisconsin-Lacrosse in the Division III semifinals.

Mount Union (12-1) had won three consecutive national titles, beating Rowan (12-1) for the championship in 1996 and 1998. The Purple Raiders also defeated the Profs for the 1993 championship.

Mount Union won the coin toss in overtime, but elected to play defense. Rowan scored the go-ahead touchdown on Jason Frabasile's seven-yard run, then held on defense to go to the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl for the second consecutive season.

The Profs will play Pacific Lutheran for the national title Saturday in Salem, Va. . . .

In San Antonio, Anthony Hicks rushed for four touchdowns as Pacific Lutheran had 11 sacks to upset host Trinity, 49-28, in an NCAA semifinal.

Hicks rushed for 92 yards on 18 carries and caught five passes for 83 yards. The victory snapped the Tigers' 24-game home winning streak and gives the Lutes (12-1) their first trip to the final. Trinity finished 12-1.

SWAC: In Birmingham, Terrance Levy found Devin Lewis for a late 26-yard touchdown pass and Michael Hayes caught nine passes for 269 yards in Southern's 31-30 win over Jackson State (9-3) in the inaugural Southwestern Athletic Conference Championship game.

Levy completed 21 of 41 passes for 426 yards and three touchdowns, including a 69-yarder and an 81-yarder to Hayes.

Southern (11-1) will play Hampton (7-4) in the Heritage Bowl Saturday in Atlanta. Hampton represents the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference.

DIVISION I-AA: In Youngstown, Ohio, Jeff Ryan's 10-yard touchdown pass to Damion Matthews with 44 seconds to play gave Youngstown State (11-2) a 27-24 NCAA semifinal victory over Florida A&M (10-3).

The Penguins, seeded ninth in the 16-team tournament, advance to Saturday's championship game against Georgia Southern in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Youngstown State's victory was its 15th straight in NCAA playoff competition, breaking the record of 14 the Penguins shared with Division III Augustana and Mount Union. . . .

In Statesboro, Ga., Adrian Peterson ran for 183 yards--his 29th straight game with more than 100 yards--and three touchdowns to lead Georgia Southern past Illinois State (11-3), 28-17, in a semifinal game. The Eagles (12-2) advanced to their seventh championship game in 15 years.

DIVISION II: In Florence, Ala., Northwest Missouri State's Travis Miles threw a 13-yard touchdown pass to J.R. Hill in the fourth overtime and the defense held as the Bearcats (14-1) defeated Carson-Newman (13-1), 58-52, to win the championship in the highest-scoring, longest title game in NCAA history. The 110 points scored by the teams broke the NCAA scoring record set last year in the Division I-AA title game when U-Mass. defeated Georgia Southern, 55-43.