Darius Kasparaitis scored his second goal in as many games and ended Pittsburgh's 0-for-26 power-play slump as the Penguins beat the Tampa Bay Lightning, 4-3, last night in Pittsburgh.
The Penguins, 6-2 since Herb Brooks replaced Kevin Constantine as coach on Dec. 9, took a 3-1 lead into the third period but Tampa Bay rallied to tie before losing its fourth straight.
On Pittsburgh's fifth power-play opportunity, Jaromir Jagr sent a shot from the right circle through traffic that was deflected by Kasparaitis's stick and beat goalie Dan Cloutier to the short side at 15 minutes 8 seconds of the third.
Pittsburgh's Tyler Wright, recalled from the minor leagues Saturday, ended a 100-game scoreless streak, putting the Penguins ahead 1-0 when he deflected Brad Werenka's point shot past Cloutier at 5:02 of the first period. He hadn't scored an NHL goal since Jan. 14, 1998, at Boston.
* SENATORS 4, HURRICANES 3: Joe Juneau scored the go-ahead goal in host Ottawa's come-from-behind victory over Carolina.
Juneau, who also had an assist, broke a 3-3 tie at 12:11 of the third period to spoil Carolina defenseman Paul Coffey's milestone night. Coffey became the first defenseman in NHL history to record 1,500 career points when he assisted on Sami Kapanen's second-period goal.
* BLUES 2, PREDATORS 2: Scott Young scored a short-handed goal with 4:15 left in the third period, and visiting St. Louis extended its unbeaten streak to six with a tie against Nashville. Young beat goaltender Mike Dunham (44 saves) for his 11th goal, his sixth in six games.
* MAPLE LEAFS 4, DEVILS 1: Nik Antropov had a goal and an assist as Toronto won its fifth straight, defeating visiting New Jersey. Igor Korolev, Jonas Hoglund and Dmitri Khristich also scored for Toronto, which tied Detroit for the most points in the NHL with 50.
* CANADIENS 3, BRUINS 3: Patrice Brisebois scored his first goal of the season late in the second period to lift visiting Montreal to a tie with Boston. The Bruins, who have won just one of their last nine home games, outshot Montreal 40-27.
* ISLANDERS 4, RANGERS 2: Claude Lapointe scored two second-period goals and Kevin Weekes, in his Islanders debut, beat the visiting Rangers for the third time this season.
* FLYERS 4, THRASHERS 4: Nelson Emerson scored late in the third period as Atlanta rallied from a three-goal deficit for a tie with host Philadelphia. The tie extended the Flyers' home unbeaten streak to 13 games, longest in the NHL this season.
* BLACKHAWKS 5, STARS 2: Tony Amonte had a goal and three assists in Chicago's victory over Dallas at home. Bob Probert, Michael Nylander, Doug Gilmour and Ed Olczyk also scored for Chicago, which won at home for only the third time this season and snapped Dallas's four-game unbeaten streak.
* SABRES 2, AVALANCHE 1: Miroslav Satan and Geoff Sanderson scored within a 2:20 span in the second period to lead host Buffalo over Colorado.
* FLAMES 2, OILERS 1: Valeri Bure had a goal, an assist and stopped the potential tying goal as Calgary hung on for a victory over Edmonton to extend its home unbeaten streak to seven games--6-0-1.
CAPTION: Brad Wereneka beats Lightning's Dan Cloutier for goal that gave Penguins a 2-1 lead in 4-3 victory. Pittsburgh ended 0-for-26 power play drought.