Steve Duchesne scored 3 minutes 21 seconds into overtime and Steve Yzerman moved into a ninth-place tie on the NHL career goals list as the Red Wings defeated the Atlanta Thrashers, 3-2, last night in Detroit.
Duchesne, denied from point-blank range by Thrashers rookie goalie Scott Fankhouser late in the third period, didn't miss his chance in overtime. He took a pass from Chris Chelios while standing near the right-circle dot and fired a shot that beat Fankhouser on the far side.
The game-winner came moments after Duchesne cleared the puck out of Detroit's goal mouth after goalie Ken Wregget fell.
Yzerman scored in the first period for his 608th career goal, tying him with former teammate Dino Ciccarelli on the NHL list.
* FLYERS 5, FLAMES 1: John LeClair had two goals and an assist, and Philadelphia had four third-period goals against Fred Brathwaite to beat host Calgary.
* AVALANCHE 5, BLUES 1: In Denver, Joe Sakic scored his 1,000th career point on a second-period assist, helping Colorado improve to 6-0-1 against St. Louis in the last seven meetings.
* CANADIENS 4, SENATORS 4: Patrice Brisebois scored with 3:45 remaining in the third period and assisted on two goals, helping injury-plagued Montreal to a tie against host Ottawa.
* ISLANDERS 3, BRUINS 0: Rookie Roberto Luongo stopped 34 shots for his first NHL shutout as host New York defeated Boston.
* PANTHERS 6, LIGHTNING 1: Richard Shulmistra stopped 20 shots in his second career start and Pavel Bure extended his club-record point streak to 11 games with two assists as Florida beat host Tampa Bay.
* DEVILS 4, SABRES 1: Petr Sykora and John Madden scored breakaway goals to spark New Jersey to victory over Buffalo in East Rutherford, N.J.
* SHARKS 3, STARS 1: Mike Ricci scored twice in the second period, spoiling Brett Hull's 599th career goal in San Jose's victory over host Dallas.
* OILERS 4, MIGHTY DUCKS 1: Todd Marchant scored twice and host Edmonton used a three-goal third period to beat Anaheim.