P.J. Carlesimo was gone, but there was no immediate change of fortune for the Golden State Warriors on the basketball court.
Hours after Carlesimo was fired as Warriors coach, Golden State lost at home last night to the San Antonio Spurs, 105-83.
David Robinson scored 28 points to help make a loser of Garry St. Jean in his Golden State coaching debut. St. Jean, the team's general manager and a former head coach for Sacramento, took over for Carlesimo, who was dismissed following a 6-21 start.
"I don't know that there is a perfect time to do do this," St. Jean said of the coaching change. "It was thought about by members of our organization and it was my decision that this was the time to make the change."
John Starks scored 27 points as the Warriors lost their fourth straight.
"Sometimes, you can't blame it on the coach even though coaches are always the first ones to get axed," Golden State's Donyell Marshall said. "But I think it was a decision the organization needed to make."
* TIMBERWOLVES 107, MAGIC 105: Malik Sealy's putback at the buzzer enabled visiting Minnesota to end Orlando's five-game winning streak. Minnesota's Kevin Garnett finished with 26 points and a career-high and franchise-record 23 rebounds, while Terrell Brandon added 18 points and 16 assists.
* LAKERS 108, MAVERICKS 106: In Los Angeles, Kobe Bryant (25 points) sank two foul shots with 8.6 seconds remaining to give the Lakers their 19th straight win over Dallas. Michael Finley (24 points) missed a three-pointer from the top of the key in the final seconds.
Shaquille O'Neal had 35 points, 14 rebounds and 3 blocked shots for the Lakers. Dirk Nowitzki led Dallas with 30 points.
* JAZZ 92, SUNS 91: Karl Malone scored 28 points to help host Utah overcome Jason Kidd's fourth triple-double in seven games. Kidd's 17-footer with four seconds left rattled out. He finished with 16 points, 15 assists and 12 rebounds.
* HORNETS 108, HAWKS 104: Derrick Coleman had 25 points and 16 rebounds and David Wesley contributed 23 points and 12 assists as host Charlotte ended an eight-game losing streak against the Hawks. Isaiah Rider led Atlanta with 25 points.
* PACERS 103, BULLS 91: In Chicago, Dale Davis led five Pacers in double figures with 21 points as Indiana won for the 11th time in 13 games. Ron Artest and Elton Brand led the Bulls with 22 points each. Brand also had 13 rebounds.
* 76ERS 100, GRIZZLIES 93: Allen Iverson scored nine of his 29 points in the final five minutes and Matt Geiger added 20 points to spark Philadelphia on the road. Bryant Reeves led Vancouver with 18 points and eight rebounds.