Morris Peterson forced overtime with a three-pointer and scored four points in the extra session as No. 11 Michigan State defeated No. 9 Indiana, 77-71, to take over first place in the Big Ten last night.

The win left the Spartans (12-4, 3-0) the lone unbeaten team in conference play. Visiting Indiana (12-2, 2-1) was held to one basket in the extra period, a three-pointer by Michael Lewis with four seconds remaining.

Charlie Bell led the Spartans with 22 points and Peterson finished with 17.

A.J. Guyton scored 28 points for the Hoosiers, who were outrebounded 46-37.

Peterson's three-pointer with 11.3 seconds left in regulation was only the Spartans' fifth basket over the final 10:44 and tied it at 62.

"That's big time," Spartans guard Mateen Cleaves said. "He didn't take that shot at Kentucky. I told him he's our man. He's got to take that shot. He's the guy we ride with. He came up big time tonight."

Cleaves heaved up a long shot from just inside midcourt at the buzzer for Michigan State, but the ball spun out.

A.J. Granger's layup 47 seconds into the overtime gave the Spartans a lead they never lost. Two free throws by David Thomas made it 75-68 with 8.9 seconds remaining.

Lewis's three-pointer cut it to four points, then Granger sealed it with two free throws with 2.8 seconds left.

With so much on the line, both teams looked a little nervous at the start. In the first eight minutes, Indiana--leading 11-9--had hit just 4 of 13 shots while the Spartans were 3 of 14, and each team had four turnovers.

The rest of the half was a game of runs. Guyton scored nine points in a 9-0 burst that put Indiana ahead 25-20. Bell scored six as the Spartans answered with an 8-0 run for a 28-25 lead.

A three-point play by Guyton tied it at 28, but Bell's three-pointer from the right corner just before the buzzer sent Michigan State off with a 31-28 halftime lead.

Cleaves, making his first start since returning last week from a foot injury that kept him sidelined for 10 weeks, had eight assists to claim the Michigan State record with 653, eclipsing the mark of 645 by Scott Skiles.

AUBURN 66, KENTUCKY 63: Doc Robinson hit a tiebreaking three-pointer with 24 seconds to play and Scott Pohlman added two free throws as the No. 4 Tigers, at home, snapped a 14-game losing streak against the 20th-ranked Wildcats.

It was the first victory for Auburn (14-1, 2-0 Southeastern Conference) over Kentucky (10-5, 1-1) since 1990 and snapped the Wildcats' six-game winning streak.

With the score tied at 59 with 2:36 to play, Chris Porter gave the Tigers their first lead since the 11:09 mark on a tip-in. Two free throws by Jamaal Magloire tied it at 61 with 1:12 to play.

The Tigers had a chance to take the lead, but David Hamilton missed two free throws. Daymeon Fishback got the rebound, which was knocked out of bounds by Keith Bogans, giving the Tigers the ball with 42 seconds to play.

Robinson then hit an off-balance three-pointer to give Auburn a 64-61 lead.

Tayshaun Prince missed a three at the other end, but Bogans got the rebound, drew a foul and made two free throws to make it 64-63 with 13 seconds left.

Auburn came out of a timeout and gave Pohlman, a 77 percent free throw shooter, the ball. He was quickly fouled by J.P. Blevins, and sank both shots.

Kentucky then missed two shots at the other end and time expired.

Porter finished with 22 points and 13 rebounds. Prince led Kentucky with 15 points.

SYRACUSE 76, WEST VIRGINIA 63: Tony Bland scored nine of his 22 points in the final five minutes as the No. 7 Orangemen remained the only unbeaten team in Division I. Etan Thomas had 14 points, 15 rebounds and 5 blocks as Syracuse (12-0, 3-0 Big East) won for the second time on the road following a 10-game homestand.

After Thomas went to the bench with his fourth foul midway through the second half, Syracuse went scoreless for five minutes.

West Virginia (7-6, 0-3) then went inside to grind away at a 10-point deficit. Freshman Calvin Bowman's dunk started an 8-0 run that brought the Mountaineers within 54-52 with 7:14 left.

Thomas returned and his alley-oop dunk from Jason Hart with 5:48 left started a decisive 14-2 run.

OKLAHOMA 76, BAYLOR 43: The No. 16 Sooners held the visiting Bears to 13 first-half points while bombarding them from long range. J.R. Raymond scored 20 and Eduardo Najera had 18 for the Sooners (14-1, 2-0 Big 12), who held Baylor to four field goals in the first half and 32 percent shooting overall.

The Bears (9-4, 0-2) were held to the second-fewest points in a half in school history. The school record is seven points, against Illinois State in 1984.

It made for a miserable return for Baylor Coach Dave Bliss, who coached Oklahoma from 1975 to '80 and had not been back in Norman since then.