-- Defensive end Renaldo Wynn reinjured his right knee late in the Washington Redskins' 30-9 loss to the Green Bay Packers today at Lambeau Field. Wynn said he was hopeful that the injury was not serious, but indicated that he did not know the extent of the damage.

Wynn played with an ailing right knee in the first three games, and initially withheld the injury from the team's coaches. That drew criticism from defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis, who said he could have limited Wynn's practice-field plays to keep him healthier for games if he had known. Wynn and Lewis were hopeful that the knee would improve as the season progressed, and Wynn played his best game a week ago in a 43-27 loss to the New Orleans Saints at FedEx Field.

But Wynn limped off in the fourth quarter today. He had said previously that doctors had told him he perhaps was suffering from a case of tendinitis.

"I just got hit on the same knee," Wynn said. "I don't know what the deal is yet . . . I'll have to get it checked out."

Wynn was the second-most expensive free agent addition by the Redskins last offseason, signing a six-year contract worth about $20 million.

Gardner a Substitute

Wide receiver Rod Gardner didn't start as the Redskins opened in a two-receiver formation and Coach Steve Spurrier went with Derrius Thompson and Chris Doering. But Gardner entered the game for the second offensive play. Spurrier said after the game he planned to start Gardner and Thompson next Sunday night against the Indianapolis Colts at FedEx Field. . . .

The Redskins plan to resume contract negotiations with right tackle Jon Jansen early this week, hoping to complete an agreement on a multiyear extension that would keep him with the team beyond this season.

The sides intensified negotiations late last week after a two-month lull. Jansen's representatives had two days of face-to-face meetings with Redskins officials in the Washington area, and it appeared that neither side wanted to drag out the process. Redskins officials seem optimistic that they can finish a deal with Jansen, who is in the final season of his contract and is eligible for unrestricted free agency next offseason, in the next week or two.

But obstacles remain, with Jansen apparently still asking for more money than the Redskins are willing to pay. . . .

The Redskins placed right guard Brenden Stai on the inactive list because of patella tendinitis in his left knee. Stai, who had started the first five games, sat out a game for the first time since 1997, when he was with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He had a string of 77 regular season starts ended. Stai and the coaches are hopeful that by putting him on the shelf today, he will be fully healed for the Colts.

Wilbert Brown started at right guard, one week after making his first NFL start as a replacement for injured David Loverne at left guard. Loverne was back in the starting lineup today. Kipp Vickers replaced Brown late in the game. . . .

Sam Shade remained the starter at strong safety, although he continued to split time with Ifeanyi Ohalete. . . .

The Redskins were called for 11 penalties, but Spurrier was not complaining. He had protested last week about the "phantom calls" going against his team, and placed a call to the league office. But today he said: "We got some nice penalties for a change. Shoot, we got some good breaks on the penalties for a change to keep some drives going. But we didn't do very much offensively."