Martin Brodeur made 33 saves in recording his fourth shutout of the season as the New Jersey Devils beat the Bruins, 1-0, last night in Boston.
Brodeur is 17th on the NHL career list with 59 shutouts. He began this season with a 2.21 goals-against average, the lowest in the modern era.
Devils Coach Pat Burns made a victorious return in his first appearance in Boston since being fired as Bruins coach during the 2000-01 season.
Jay Pandolfo scored at 16 minutes 13 seconds of the first period when John Madden's shot from in close deflected off Pandolfo's skate and beat John Grahame.
The Bruins' best chance to score was with 2:54 remaining when Glen Murray took a feed from Joe Thornton and Brodeur made a blocker save.
Boston has won only two games since Dec. 8 and finished the month 5-8-1. The Bruins were 16-3-3-1 through the first two months of the season.
* THRASHERS 3, PENGUINS 2: After goaltender Pasi Nurminen stopped all seven shots by Pittsburgh in overtime, Ilya Kovalchuk beat Jean-Sebastien Aubin on a breakaway with just 20 seconds to play to lift Atlanta to its first win ever against host Pittsburgh, which rallied from a 2-0 deficit.
"I think he's missed maybe one time on a breakaway now in two seasons," Atlanta defenseman Daniel Tjarnqvist said.
Tjarnqvist kicked the puck ahead to Kovalchuk just inside the Atlanta blue line before the Thrashers' leading scorer skated away from defenseman Ian Moran to score his 21st goal of the season and second career overtime goal.
Kovalchuk's goal ended Atlanta's 14-game losing streak against Pittsburgh and came three days after the Thrashers beat Carolina for the first time.
* ISLANDERS 2, PANTHERS 1: Roman Hamrlik scored his second goal of the game with 56.9 seconds left in overtime to give New York the victory at home.
The Islanders have won three straight, all at home. They took all seven shots in overtime to move within a game of .500 (15-16-5-0). Chris Osgood stopped 24 shots.
* SHARKS 2, FLYERS 1: Rookie Jonathan Cheechoo scored the go-ahead goal from an improbable angle early in the third period, and Evgeni Nabokov made 24 saves in San Jose's win at home.
Cheechoo snapped a tie when he skated nearly to the corner before flipping the puck at the net, where it banked off the back of goalie Roman Cechmanek's leg.
* COYOTES 4, OILERS 3: Daymond Langkow scored late in regulation and again in overtime in Phoenix.
Sean Burke made 31 saves to win for the second time in two games since his return from an ankle sprain. Burke, who missed 29 games, shut out Philadelphia on Saturday.
* PREDATORS 3, SENATORS 2: Bill Houlder snapped a third-period tie with his first goal in 145 games and lifted Nashville at home.
Denis Arkhipov and Andy Delmore also scored for the Predators. Ottawa was unbeaten in six games (5-0-1) and had won nine times in 11 games (9-1-1).
* BLACKHAWKS 2, KINGS 0: Jocelyn Thibault made 33 saves in his 32nd career shutout.
Steve Sullivan and Nathan Dempsey scored for the Blackhawks, who ended the Kings' four-game home winning streak despite recording just 14 shots.