Leah Metcalf and La'Tangela Atkinson scored 14 points each as No. 11 North Carolina beat American, 80-42, yesterday in Chapel Hill, N.C.
Freshmen Jessica Sell had 11 points and Kenya McBee added 10 as the Tar Heels (10-1) closed the first half on a 24-2 run.
Chanel Hunt scored 16 points on 8-for-11 shooting and Angel McNatt added 12 points for the Eagles (6-5), who lost Monday night at Elon.
North Carolina shot 64 percent in the first half to overcome 10 turnovers in the opening 10 minutes 15 seconds. American was within 24-17 after Hunt made a 15-footer with 7 minutes 56 seconds remaining in the half.
The Tar Heels scored the last 12 points of the half and led 48-19 at the break. Metcalf made three three-pointers in the last 5:08.
Metcalf had eight rebounds and seven assists for the game.
North Carolina and American each committed 27 turnovers, a season-worst for the Tar Heels.
* NOTRE DAME 75, MARQUETTE 68: Jacqueline Batteast had 23 points and 11 rebounds as the No. 12 Fighting Irish beat the Golden Eagles in Milwaukee.
LeTania Severe added 21 points, and Courtney LaVere scored 16 and pulled down a game-high 12 rebounds for the Fighting Irish (8-2), who rallied from a 39-31 deficit early in the second half.
Marquette (6-3), which had its five-game winning streak snapped, was led by Katie Alsdurf with 18 points, Rachel Klug with 17 and Carolyn Kieger with 16.
* VANDERBILT 66, CHARLOTTE 43: Chantelle Anderson scored 13 of her game-high 15 points in the second half as the No. 12 Commodores beat the 49ers in Nashville.
Anderson led a balanced attack for the Commodores (8-2). Abi Ramsey scored 13 points in a reserve role.
Charlotte (6-5) took a 4-0 lead, but Vanderbilt answered with a 17-2 run to take control of the game. Ramsey hit a three-pointer, then converted a steal into a layup on consecutive possessions to spark the spurt.
* SOUTH CAROLINA 85, SOUTH CAROLINA STATE 42: Petra Ujhelyi scored a season-high 18 points and tied a career best with 15 rebounds as the Gamecocks beat the Bulldogs in Columbia, S.C.
Kelly Morrone had 18 points and seven assists, shooting 4 of 8 on three-pointers, while Jocelyn Penn led the No. 16 Gamecocks (11-1) with 19 points.
Nicole Rhem led South Carolina State (3-5) with 15 points.
* COLORADO 78, SYRACUSE 75: Kate Fagan scored 22 points as the No. 25 Buffaloes rallied from a six-point deficit in the final 90 seconds of regulation and beat the host Orangemen in overtime.
Tera Bjorklund scored 21 points, and Linda Lappe and Maria Billingsley each scored 10 for the Buffaloes (9-1), who had won their first eight games by an average of 22 points.
* VIRGINIA TECH 78, RADFORD 56: Erin Gibson scored a game-high and career-high 24 points, making 12 of 15 shots, at home for the Hokies (9-2). Ieva Kublina added 17 points and nine rebounds. Radford (4-6) was buoyed by Jesse Brunjak and Amanda Neby, who scored 14 and 13 points, respectively.
* PITTSBURGH 94, HOWARD 75: Brooke Stewart converted 13 of 19 shots in a game-high 31-point performance as the Panthers (8-3) won at home. Mandy Wittenmyer added 22 points and 13 rebounds. Courtney Kirk led the Bison (0-9) with 18 points and six rebounds, and Asia Petty added 15 points and six rebounds.