The obituary of retired budget analyst Louise Banash Sinnes, which appeared Jan. 10, incorrectly reported her first name and the cause of her death. She died of cancer. (Published 1/11/03)

The Virginia AAA Cardinal District opened boys' basketball league play in dramatic fashion last night as Forest Park knocked off Woodbridge, 48-45, in triple overtime and undefeated Hylton pulled away from Gar-Field, 74-65, in double overtime.

Before last night, third-year school Forest Park (7-5) had never beaten any of the three other schools in the district. And it appeared the streak would continue when the host Bruins went down by five points with just more than a minute to play in the first overtime. But Forest Park tied the score on a layup by junior D'Juan Tucker with 10 seconds left.

In the second overtime, Woodbridge had possession for the entire period but did not get a shot off. The Vikings (7-5, 0-1) took the lead in the third extra session, but Bruins senior Aziz Stewart (15 points) scored to put his team ahead 44-43. Forest Park hit four free throws in the final 26 seconds.

"We grew up a little bit tonight," said Coach Brion Dunlap, a Woodbridge graduate. "It's the type of group that we knew we had all along . . . a team that is maturing game in and game out."

At Hylton, the hosts recovered from free throw troubles and the loss of two starters to fouls at the end of regulation to ice the game in the second overtime, as four players combined to go eight for eight from the line.

Junior guard Deon Butler made the biggest play of the period, intercepting a pass near midcourt and going in for a layup to give the Bulldogs (7-0, 1-0) a 68-64 lead.

Gar-Field (7-5, 0-1) trailed by 14 entering the fourth quarter but rallied behind 14 points from senior Demetrius Howard. The Indians were down by three in the final 12 seconds of the first overtime, but junior Chris Vann (22 points) prolonged the game with his fourth three-pointer.

Hockey Rout

Stone Bridge senior forward Matt Fairchild scored six goals as the Bulldogs beat Broad Run, 11-5, in a Northern Virginia Scholastic Hockey League game at Ashburn Ice House. In a rematch of last year's NVSHL championship game -- which Stone Bridge won, 2-1, in overtime -- each team scored four goals in the first period.

Stone Bridge (4-0) held Broad Run (4-1-1) scoreless for 20 minutes spanning the second and third periods, and in the time between Spartans goals, Fairchild scored twice, upping his season total to 10.

"Fairchild was fired up, and he made the difference in the game," Broad Run Coach Steve Lorusso said. "That was pretty obvious."

Broad Run sophomore forward Jeremiah Cunningham, who entered the game as the league's leading scorer with 17 goals and 12 assists, had two goals and two assists. Stone Bridge got two goals each from senior defender Matt Griffith and sophomore forward Adam Roeder. Senior defender T.J. Kenyon also scored for the Bulldogs.

-- Preston Williams, Dan

Steinberg and Colin Fitzgibbons