Nick Collison had 24 points and a career-high 23 rebounds, and Michael Lee made two free throws with 29 seconds left to lift No. 12 Kansas over No. 3 Texas, 90-87, in a wild finish last night in Lawrence, Kan.

After the Jayhawks' Keith Langford missed two free throws with 10 seconds to go, the Longhorns hurried down the court. However, Sydmill Harris and T.J. Ford missed three-point attempts as time ran out.

Students stormed the court, stomping and yelling after Kansas (14-5, 4-1 Big 12) averted its first three-game losing skid in nine years and halted the eight-game winning streak of the Longhorns (13-3, 4-1), who led by 11 points in the first half.

Brandon Mouton's short jumper brought Texas to 84-82. With 2 minutes 5 seconds to go, Aaron Miles scored from the outside before Ford (25 points, 10 rebounds, 7 assists) drove the lane with 1:37 left.

When Collison fouled out with 1:18 to go, James Thomas made one free throw that left the Jayhawks clinging to an 88-85 lead.

After a Kansas miss, Mouton turned the ball over to the Jayhawks, who inbounded with 29 seconds left.

Lee was fouled immediately and sank both foul shots. After Jeff Graves picked up his fifth foul, Thomas made two free throws that made it 90-87 with 16 seconds left.

* U-CONN. 74, ST. JOHN'S 68: Ben Gordon scored 23 points and made two big rebounds as the No. 14 Huskies snapped a three-game road losing streak.

Emeka Okafor had 21 points, 13 rebounds and 6 blocked shots for the Huskies (13-3, 4-1 Big East), who improved to 2-3 on the road this season and snapped a three-game losing streak to St. John's at Madison Square Garden.

Marcus Hatten scored 26 points for the Red Storm (10-6, 3-3), who had won two straight and five of seven.

Gordon, a sophomore guard who leads the Huskies in scoring at 21.3 points per game, had six assists and six rebounds, including perhaps the two biggest of the game for Connecticut.

Hatten made two free throws with 7:41 remaining to move the Red Storm to 57-55. Gordon missed a three-pointer on the next possession but dived to the floor, got control of the loose ball and passed to Okafor, who made a short hook shot.

After each team failed to score on its next possession, Hatten missed a three-pointer as the shot clock ran out and Gordon emerged with the rebound from a cluster of players under the basket. He drove the length of the floor and missed a shot, but Shamon Tooles grabbed the rebound and was fouled. His three-point play gave Connecticut a 62-55 lead with 5:44 to go.