The Los Angeles Lakers had four days off to clear away the hangover of two ugly losses at home. The rest did wonders.
Kobe Bryant scored 14 of his 40 points in the fourth quarter as the Lakers held off a Phoenix rally and snapped the Suns' 11-game home winning streak, 99-90, on Wednesday night.
"My knees feel great," Bryant said. "I feel as close to 100 percent as I've ever felt. I can't speak on behalf of the other guys, but if the days off worked for them as well as they did for me, we're going to be in great shape."
Shaquille O'Neal added 25 points, 11 rebounds and 6 assists as the Lakers, coming off home losses to Golden State and New Jersey, beat a Pacific Division foe away from Staples Center for the first time this season. Robert Horry matched his season-high with 16 points in Los Angeles's sixth road victory in 21 tries.
"We didn't rely on our jumper all night," O'Neal said. "We got the ball inside and took it to the hole, and number 8 [Bryant] had a fabulous game."
Stephon Marbury had 33 points and 10 assists, and fellow all-star Shawn Marion had 18 points and 11 rebounds for Phoenix.
* MAGIC 113, CAVALIERS 108: Tracy McGrady returned from a one-game absence to score 31 points, grab 12 rebounds and make three foul shots in the final 13 seconds as Orlando won at home. McGrady missed Sunday's loss at Boston to be with his fiancee as she gave birth to the couple's daughter, Layla Clarice."
* JAZZ 95, TRAIL BLAZERS 71: Karl Malone had 20 points and 11 rebounds and host Utah beat Portland in the Jazz's first of seven games without suspended Coach Jerry Sloan.
* HORNETS 104, RAPTORS 83: David Wesley scored 25 points, and Robert Pack added 18 points and 11 assists to lead host New Orleans. Vince Carter had 13 points for the Raptors. He played just 12 minutes in the second half.
* HEAT 82, KNICKS 80: Travis Best was the only Miami starter not to score in double figures, but he scored the last five points of the game to give the Heat the home victory."
* MAVERICKS 104, ROCKETS 81: Dirk Nowitzki scored 34 points, and Michael Finley added 29 and hit seven of Dallas's 15 three-pointers as the Mavericks beat host Houston for the third straight time this season.
* CLIPPERS 77, BULLS 75: Corey Maggette scored 25 points and made five free throws down the stretch to lead host Los Angeles.
Jalen Rose scored 24 points for Chicago.