Pinch hitter David McCarty had a two-run triple that broke an eighth-inning tie last night in Boston and Pedro Martinez struck out 11 to lead the Red Sox over the Cleveland Indians, 5-3.
Alan Embree (1-0) won despite giving up Victor Martinez's solo homer in the eighth, the only hit he allowed. Keith Foulke pitched the ninth for his seventh save.
Victor Martinez doubled in two runs in the first, but Boston tied the score on solo homers by Gabe Kapler in the third and David Ortiz in the fourth. Martinez gave Cleveland a 3-2 lead in the eighth, but Boston scored three in the bottom half against Jose Jimenez (0-2).
Ortiz and Bill Mueller doubled with two outs to make it 3-3, and Kapler bounced a single up the middle that was fielded by Ronnie Belliard behind second base, preventing the go-ahead run. Brian Daubach was announced to pinch-hit for Pokey Reese, and Scott Stewart came on to relieve.
McCarty batted for Daubach and lined the ball down the first base line into the corner, scoring both runners.
* ROYALS 5, BLUE JAYS 1: Juan Gonzalez hit a tiebreaking single in the sixth inning off AL Cy Young Award winner Roy Halladay, and Kansas City won at home to stop Toronto's six-game winning streak.
Mike Sweeney added a two-run double in a three-run seventh inning for the Royals, who had lost seven straight home games against the Blue Jays since July 29, 2002.
Rookie Shawn Camp (2-0) allowed one hit in 31/3 shutout innings in relief of Dennys Reyes, who made his first start since April 29. He took a 1-0 lead into the sixth before Josh Phelps led off with a double and scored on Orlando Hudson's sacrifice fly.
* RANGERS 5, DEVIL RAYS 4: Hank Blalock homered twice and Laynce Nix had a two-run shot as visiting Texas sent Tampa Bay to its sixth straight loss and 13th in its last 15 games. Blalock's second homer of the game in the eighth inning tied the score at 4. Kevin Mench's bases-loaded grounder later in the inning knocked in the game-winner for Texas, which has won eight of 11.
Nix gave the Rangers a 2-0 lead with his homer on an 0-2 pitch from Doug Waechter (1-3) in the third.
* ATHLETICS 5, TIGERS 4: Damian Miller hit a tiebreaking, two-out single in the 15th inning to lead Oakland in Detroit. Eric Chavez walked and Jermaine Dye singled off Danny Patterson (0-2), and Scott Hatteberg was intentionally walked to load the bases with two outs to set up the game-winning hit. Miller's single to right was fielded by Brandon Inge, whose throw home prevented Dye from giving the A's a two-run cushion.
Justin Duchscherer (1-1) allowed only hit over five innings, and Jim Mecir pitched the 15th for his second save.
* TWINS 7, MARINERS 6: Shannon Stewart knocked the ball out of catcher Dan Wilson's glove to score from second base in the 11th inning and give Minnesota a win at home. Stewart, who was slow to get up after the collision, scored on Doug Mientkiewicz's bloop single to center off Ron Villone (3-1). Randy Winn's throw easily beat Stewart at the plate, but the 5-foot-11, 200-pounder knocked the ball loose.
* YANKEES 8, ANGELS 7: Gary Sheffield lined an RBI double with two outs in the 10th inning, and New York ended visiting Anaheim's nine-game winning streak.