Sammy Sosa homered to tie Mike Schmidt for ninth place on the career list at 548, and Greg Maddux worked eight innings to lead the Chicago Cubs past the Padres, 6-1, in San Diego last night.
Jose Macias tripled twice for the Cubs, including with the bases loaded in the ninth inning.
In the fourth inning, Sosa hit a hanging curve from Ismael Valdez (3-2) into the first row of seats in center field. It was Sosa's ninth home run of the season and gave the Cubs a 2-1 lead.
Corey Patterson also homered to help give Maddux (3-3) his 292nd career victory. He held the Padres to five hits and one run with four strikeouts and didn't walk a batter for the third straight start.
Maddux moved past Cy Young and into 15th place on the career list with 2,800 strikeouts.
* METS 8, ASTROS 3: Cliff Floyd hit a grand slam in the third inning, and Mike Piazza also homered, helping visiting New York win its third game in a row.
Steve Trachsel (4-3) allowed three runs and five hits in six innings, and Ricky Bottalico and Orber Moreno combined for one-hit relief for the Mets.
* BRAVES 2, BREWERS 0: In Milwaukee, J.D. Drew and Chipper Jones hit consecutive homers in the eighth inning, sending Horacio Ramirez to his first win of the season.
It was the third day in a row Drew has homered.
Ramirez (1-3) allowed just five hits in eight innings while striking out five and walking three for Atlanta. John Smoltz notched his sixth save.
* PHILLIES 6, ROCKIES 4: Pat Burrell homered and drove in four runs, and Bobby Abreu added a home run to help Philadelphia win in Denver.
Helped by three double plays, Eric Milton (4-0) allowed only three runs in six innings. With Billy Wagner going on the disabled list earlier in the day, Tim Worrell worked the ninth for his second save.
* REDS 2, DODGERS 1: Paul Wilson won his career-best fifth straight decision, and Danny Graves posted his major league-leading 15th save for visiting Cincinnati.
Kazuhisa Ishii (5-2), who walked three straight batters in a two-run fourth, allowed two runs on one hit and seven walks in four innings.
* CARDINALS 6, MARLINS 3: In St. Louis, Ray Lankford homered, Hector Luna had two RBI singles, and Jim Edmonds doubled twice and scored twice as the Cardinals win for the fourth time in five games.
Jason Marquis (2-3) allowed two runs on five hits in 72/3 innings with two strikeouts and two walks.
* EXPOS 4, DIAMONDBACKS 3: Orlando Cabrera's ninth-inning single lifted Montreal in Phoenix.
Brian Schneider hit his fourth home run for the Expos, who snapped a four-game losing streak.
Steve Finley hit his major league-leading 12th home run for Arizona. He has 11 home runs in his last 61 at-bats.
* PIRATES 4, GIANTS 2: In San Francisco, Daryle Ward tied the score with a two-run homer in the seventh inning, then singled in the go-ahead run in the eighth for Pittsburgh.