Sammy Sosa homered to tie Mike Schmidt for ninth place on the career list at 548, and Greg Maddux worked eight innings to lead the Chicago Cubs past the Padres, 6-1, in San Diego Friday night.
Cubs leadoff batter Jose Macias hit a bases-loaded triple into the left-field corner with one out in the ninth. He also tripled in the eighth and scored. Macias and teammate Moises Alou both had three hits.
In the fourth inning, Sosa hit a hanging curve from Ismael Valdez (3-2) into the first row of seats in center field. It was Sosa's ninth home run of the season and gave the Cubs a 2-1 lead.
Corey Patterson also homered to help give Maddux (3-3) his 292nd career victory. The right-hander held the Padres to five hits and one run, with four strikeouts. He didn't walk a batter for the third straight start.
* METS 8, ASTROS 3: Cliff Floyd hit a grand slam in the third inning, and Mike Piazza also homered, helping visiting New York stretch its winning streak to three games.
Steve Trachsel (4-3) allowed three runs and five hits in six innings, and Ricky Bottalico and Orber Moreno combined for one-hit relief for the Mets. Roy Oswalt (2-2) struck out seven in seven innings, but gave up five runs and seven hits as Houston lost its third straight. It was the first time in his career he allowed a grand slam.
* REDS 2, DODGERS 1: Paul Wilson won his career-best fifth straight decision and Cincinnati capitalized on a wild outing by Kazuhisa Ishii to win in Los Angeles.
Wilson (5-0) pitched seven innings, allowing a run and five hits with four strikeouts and two walks. Todd Jones pitched a scoreless eighth inning and Danny Graves got three outs for his major league-leading 15th save.
* BRAVES 2, BREWERS 0: In Milwaukee, J.D. Drew and Chipper Jones hit consecutive homers in the eighth, sending Horacio Ramirez to his first win this season.
Drew and Jones connected off Luis Vizcaino (0-2), who started the eighth in relief of Victor Santos. Vizcaino retired the first two batters before Drew hit his seventh home run of the season and Jones his fourth.
* PHILLIES 6, ROCKIES 4: Pat Burrell homered and drove in four runs, and Bobby Abreu added a home run to help visiting Philadelphia.
* CARDINALS 6, MARLINS 3: In St. Louis, Ray Lankford homered, Hector Luna had two RBI singles and Jim Edmonds doubled twice, drove in a run and scored twice to help the Cardinals win for the fourth time in five games.
* EXPOS 4, DIAMONDBACKS 3: Orlando Cabrera's ninth-inning single helped visiting Montreal snap a four-game slide.
* PIRATES 4, GIANTS 2: In San Francisco, Daryle Ward tied the score with a two-run homer in the seventh inning, then singled in the go-ahead run in the eighth for Pittsburgh.