Syracuse 8, Georgetown 7

It was impossible to tell how much time was left after Syracuse senior Steve Lindsay scored late in the fourth quarter of his team's NCAA lacrosse tournament quarterfinal against Georgetown on Sunday. It was because the scoreboard at Schoellkopf Field was not working.

By the celebrations on the Syracuse sideline and among the orange-clad fans in the stands following the goal, however, the Hoyas knew one thing -- there was not enough time for a comeback.

Lindsay's goal came with five seconds left and clinched an 8-7 victory before 11,480. Syracuse (13-2) advanced to the final four for the 22nd straight season and will play No. 1 Johns Hopkins on Saturday.

Georgetown (11-4) lost in the quarterfinals for the fourth time in five years. Two of the losses were by one goal.

"Syracuse is a great lacrosse team," Georgetown Coach Dave Urick said. "They are a tough mountain to climb. We got as close as the top of that mountain as we could."

For a while, it looked like Georgetown would end Syracuse's semifinal streak. The Hoyas led 5-3 at halftime and took their last lead at 7-6 following a score by sophomore Sean Denihan with 11 minutes 9 seconds to play.

Syracuse tied the game at 7 following a goal by Kevin Dougherty with 8:19 left. The Hoyas had possession with 5:45 left and took five shots over the next two and a half minutes. They lost possession after Jay Pfeifer made a save off a shot from sophomore John Lasky with 3:20 left.

That was Georgetown's last shot.

Georgetown then made a defensive stand as junior Rich D'Andrea saved a shot by senior Brian Nee with 50 seconds left. Georgetown's Andy Corno was about to have an uncontested clear when the referees stopped play because Nee had gone to the ground with an apparent knee injury.

When play resumed, Georgetown was called for an offside penalty -- a call that their coaches screamed was incorrect -- and lost possession. Lindsay scored on the next possession.

"With that little time left, we wanted to bear down on our men," Georgetown junior defender Brodie Merrill said. "It's tough because they are so desperate. They had nothing to lose because they knew they were going to have the last possession."

Said Lindsay: "I didn't know if we had 10 seconds left or a minute left . . . At first, I didn't want to get too excited. But when I got to the sideline and they told me only five seconds were left, I started going crazy."

Senior Michael Powell had three goals, and Pfeifer had 19 saves for the Orange. Denihan had four goals, and D'Andrea had 18 saves for Georgetown.

Pfeifer has had 19, 19 and 18 saves against the Hoyas in their past three games. The Orange has won all three games and has won eight in a row overall against the Hoyas dating from 1999.

Georgetown's offense was hampered because senior Neal Goldman took only one shot and finished with one assist. Senior Walid Hajj made 1 of 8 shots.

Georgetown's seniors lost their second one-goal quarterfinal. They also lost to Princeton, 14-13, on a last-second goal by senior Ryan Boyle in 2002. Overall, the Hoyas have lost three straight quarterfinals.