Oakton 14, Robinson 13

Oakton junior attack Matt Silton cut in front of Robinson's goal, just like his coach, Tony Gray, had drawn it up. And his teammate, sophomore Sturgis Sobin, gave him a perfect feed.

All that was left for Silton, in overtime of last night's Virginia AAA Northern Region boys' lacrosse semifinal against Robinson, was to finish the play.

"I felt I had to make it," Silton said. "I don't know if I could have lived with myself if I didn't." Silton won't have to worry about that. He faked high, then bounced a shot past Robinson's lunging keeper 1 minute 47 seconds into overtime to give the Cougars a thrilling 14-13 victory. The goal, Silton's fourth of the game, capped a four-goal run that allowed the Cougars to rally from a 13-10 deficit.

With the victory, defending unofficial state champion Oakton advanced to Saturday's region final. At 5 p.m. the Cougars will play host to W.T. Woodson, which advanced to its first region final since 2000 with a 13-5 victory over McLean in yesterday's first semifinal. Robinson, meantime, had its season ended by the Cougars in overtime for the second consecutive season. Last year, Oakton beat the Rams, 7-6, in overtime in the region final.

Oakton seemed in control with a 7-3 lead early in the second quarter. But Robinson, sparked by its transition game, scored five straight goals in a 3-minute 37-second stretch to take an 8-7 lead into halftime.

The Rams increased their lead to 13-10 despite the Cougars' faceoff dominance. Oakton junior Cody Grimm won 23 of the game's 31 faceoffs, including the critical overtime draw.

Earlier in the evening, Woodson (13-4) cruised to its third victory of the season over the Highlanders (14-5) behind a game-high five goals and three assists from junior attack Aaron Solomon. Freshman Reid Mayberry had four goals, and senior Sean Cassidy added two goals and two assists.

Cassidy scored just 15 seconds into the contest off an assist from Michael Solomon, and Woodson raced to a 5-0 lead. McLean cut the lead to three, but Aaron Solomon then scored three consecutive goals in a three-minute 18-second span of the third quarter to put the Cavaliers in command.

The victory was Woodson's 12th straight since losing four of its first five games.

"After we lost those four games, we made a pact that we wouldn't lose another game the rest of the year," Aaron Solomon said. "So far we've kept it. Hopefully, we can keep it one more game."