The former coach of three-time Olympic champion Marion Jones was the mystery man who gave anti-doping officials a used syringe filled with a new steroid, touching off the scandal clouding preparations for the Athens Games, a newspaper reported yesterday.

In a story posted on its Web site, the San Jose Mercury News said that five sources identified Trevor Graham as the coach who submitted a vial of the steroid THG to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency in June 2003. The newspaper said the sources spoke on condition of anonymity.

Graham's lawyer, Joseph Zeszotarski, did not respond to phone messages left last night by the Associated Press. In the past, he has said: "Trevor Graham has never distributed steroids or any illicit substance to anyone, and is in no way involved in any such matters."

Graham has been questioned by federal agents as part of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative case, which has led to indictments against four men and doping allegations against several top athletes -- including Jones and baseball's Barry Bonds, both of whom repeatedly have denied drug use.

Two of the four sprinters, Tim Montgomery and Michelle Collins, who were threatened with lifetime bans by USADA as a result of material seized in the BALCO case, also were coached by Graham. Montgomery, the world record holder in the 100 meters, has a 1-year-old son with Jones. Jones has not been formally charged by USADA but remains under investigation for possible drug use.

* GOLF: Billy Hurley (Loudoun County High) regrouped during a mid-match lunch break and got his putter working again in the afternoon yesterday, rallying to beat Ryan Stinnett, 4 and 2, to win the VSGA's 91st State Amateur championship at Roanoke Country Club.

Hurley, 22, of Leesburg, became the first stroke-play medalist to win the championship since Lanny Wadkins beat brother Bobby, 6 and 5, in the 1970 final.

Hurley, who graduated from the Naval Academy in May, is believed to be the first serviceman to claim the State Am since Norfolk's Robert Wallace won the 1957 title over Tom Strange, also of Norfolk.

* WRESTLING: Muslim fundamentalists promised to block Bangladesh's first women's wrestling competition, calling it anti-Islamic.

"Games such as wrestling are vulgar and indecent for Muslim women," Maulana Mohiuddin Khan, head of the Jamiatul Ulama Islami Bangladesh group, said yesterday in Dhaka, Bangladesh.

Khan said Bangladeshi Muslims "shall not allow our women to take part in such vulgarity."

The state-run Bangladesh Wrestling Federation said the competition will proceed today despite planned demonstrations by three Islamic fundamentalist groups.

* ROWING: Five U.S. crews, including two from Harvard, reached the finals at the Henley Royal Regatta in Henley-on-Thames, England.

In the Grand Challenge Cup for international eights, Harvard's top varsity boat -- undefeated in college racing this year -- held off England's Cambridge University. Harvard won by one-third of a length and will face a Dutch Olympic team in the final.

Harvard's second varsity eight beat a composite Swiss crew by 13/4 lengths in the Ladies' Plate for sub-Olympic internationals and will meet Leander Club today. England's Leander beat Boston University in the other semifinal.

St. Paul's School of Concord, N.H., won its race against England's Pangbourne College by two lengths in the Princess Elizabeth Cup for schoolboy eights. England's Abingdon took the other semifinal.

Cindy Bishop of the Riverside Club, Cambridge, Mass., topped England's Lorna Norris in the Princess Royal Cup for women international single scullers and will meet South Africa's Rika Geyser in the final.

Princeton, facing a composite crew from the University of British Columbia and the University of Victoria in the semis of the Remenham Cup for women's eights, started well in a strong, swirling headwind and finished 33/4 lengths ahead.

* OBITUARY: Carl James, the former Big Eight commissioner and Duke and Maryland athletic director, died of cancer yesterday in Charlotte. He was 75. James was a football and track star at Duke from 1949 to '51 who went on to become athletic director at Maryland and his alma mater before taking over as commissioner of the Big Eight Conference in 1980. He retired in 1996.

-- From News Services