Moises Alou, Sammy Sosa and Derrek Lee homered to back Kerry Wood as the Chicago Cubs posted a 5-1 win over the Phillies in Philadelphia last night for their third straight win.
"The guys are starting to swing the bats and it feels good," Cubs Manager Dusty Baker said. "Their confidence levels are rising. It feels good to write almost the same lineup in every day."
Alou has six homers and 13 RBI in his last nine games. Lee's homer was his fifth in nine games, and his fifth in 31 at-bats against Brett Myers (5-8).
Sosa hit a two-run drive in the eighth off Ryan Madson, a 445-foot shot to center that ended the pitcher's scoreless streak at 21 innings.
Wood (5-3) improved to 2-0 with a 1.76 ERA since returning from nearly two months on the disabled list caused by a strained right triceps. He worked six innings, giving up one run on five hits. He struck out six and walked four.
Philadelphia dropped a half game behind Atlanta in the NL East.
* GIANTS 7, CARDINALS 2: In St. Louis, Dustin Hermanson took a no-hitter into the seventh inning and Barry Bonds hit a three-run homer, helping San Francisco end the Cardinals' five-game winning streak.
Hermanson (4-3) allowed only a fourth-inning walk to Albert Pujols before Pujols ended the no-hit bid with his 28th homer with one out in the seventh. Hermanson gave up two runs in 62/3 innings, struck out five and walked one.
St. Louis has lost two of its last 14 at home.
* DODGERS 3, PADRES 2: Adrian Beltre homered off Rod Beck with one out in the ninth inning to lift Los Angeles at home.
Beltre homered on the first pitch he saw from Beck (0-2) to give the Dodgers their 16th win in 18 games and increase their lead in the West over the Padres and San Francisco to 31/2 games.
* BREWERS 7, ASTROS 6: In Houston, Milwaukee homered three times off Roger Clemens and stopped a four-game losing streak on Wes Helms's ninth-inning sacrifice fly.
Clemens, who didn't get a decision, left trailing 5-0 after allowing five runs and eight hits in 52/3 innings. He walked one and struck out seven.
* EXPOS 2, MARLINS 1: Orlando Cabrera's sacrifice fly in the fourth inning ended Montreal's 42-inning scoreless streak against Florida, and Jose Vidro doubled home the go-ahead run in the fifth for Montreal, which played its first game at Olympic Stadium in four weeks.
* PIRATES 6, REDS 3: In Pittsburgh, Oliver Perez (6-4) struck out 11 in seven innings, and Craig Wilson drove in two runs to lead the Pirates. Pittsburgh has won 18 of 24 and 10 straight against NL Central opponents. Cincinnati dropped its third game in a row.
* ROCKIES 8, DIAMONDBACKS 2: In Phoenix, Vinny Castilla broke up Casey Fossum's no-hit bid with a two-run homer in the seventh inning, then hit another two-run homer in the eighth to send Arizona to its team-record 12th straight loss.
* BRAVES-METS, PPD: Atlanta's scheduled game in New York was postponed because of rain and will be made up as part of a doubleheader on Sept. 13 at Shea Stadium.