Second seeds reigned in singles play at the USTA boys' National Clay Court Championships yesterday, as No. 2 beat No. 1 in both the 16s and 18s final at Woodmont Country Club in Rockville.

After playing nearly perfect tennis in his semifinal match on Saturday, top-seeded Treat Huey seemed to play nearly every point just a bit off, as he couldn't overcome the power and speed of second-seeded Daniel Yoo.

Yoo, of Florida, put away Huey, who is from Alexandria, with a 7-5, 6-3 win before an exceedingly partisan crowd.

"I was focused on the match the whole time, in the beginning and the end," Yoo said. "Everyone was cheering for Treat but this is his home town, I can't do anything. So I was more focused. I didn't let that go into my head, thinking that these people [don't] like me."

Each time Huey seemed to get on track, Yoo had a quick answer. In the second set, Huey broke Yoo's serve to even the score at 3. But the eventual winner quickly broke his opponent right back, taking the game on Huey's double fault. Yoo then won two more games to claim victory.

Yoo, who couldn't wipe the smile from his face after the match, received a wild card for the main draw of the Legg Mason Tennis Classic, which will begin Aug. 14.

"That's just great, that feels unbelievable," said Yoo, who will earn his first five ATP points at the Legg Mason. "I might play [Andre] Agassi or [Lleyton] Hewitt, and that would be great experience for me."

Huey's frustration was evident throughout the match, never more so than when he smashed a ball over the fence after weakly hitting it into the net to give Yoo the win.

"I was just fighting to stay in the match," said Huey, who gained a spot in the Legg Mason qualifier, despite the loss. "He was running me all over the court, just doing whatever he wanted with the ball, tiring me out, I guess."

Less than an hour after losing to Yoo, Huey had to go back out on the court with doubles partner and Potomac native Jason Pinsky. The top-seeded duo lost, 6-1, 6-2, to fourth-seeded Andrew Orban and Eric Riley in 45 minutes in a semifinal match.

Huey appeared tired on the doubles court, especially during the first set. The pair rallied in the second but were too far down to come back.

"It was definitely tough," Huey said. "We just got killed. That wasn't good, I guess. I was a little down on myself at the start of the match, but they just played too well."

Orban and Riley went on to win the doubles final, beating unranked Andrew Mazlin and George Navas, 6-1, 3-6, 6-3.

In the boys' 16s final, No. 2 Spencer Vegosen outlasted No. 1 Sam Querrey, 3-6, 6-4, 6-3. After appearing overmatched in the first set, Vegosen gained steam, taking the title from his doubles partner of the last year and a half.

"I just wanted to go for it, to be the aggressor instead of the person who's on the defense all the time," Vegosen said.

Vegosen, who earned a wild card in the Legg Mason qualifier with his win, has taken two of the three matches against Querrey, all of which have gone to three sets.

"I know more than other people because I'm on his team," Vegosen said. "He has his favorite serves. It's not his fault, but he's a little more predictable, and I'm sure I am to him, too. But it wasn't as intense of a match as it might have been if I didn't know him. I didn't want to rub it in or get in his face or be a jerk during the match."

Vegosen and Querrey, seeded first, won the boys' 16s doubles championship, beating Clint Bowles and Kellen Damico, 6-4, 2-6, 6-2.