David Carr was almost perfect. The new-look Cowboys offense wasn't.
Carr was 7 of 8 for 89 yards and a touchdown yesterday in the Houston Texans' 18-0 victory over visiting Dallas in their preseason opener, which featured the Dallas debuts of veterans Vinny Testaverde, Eddie George and Keyshawn Johnson.
Testaverde, the nominal starter after the Cowboys cut incumbent Quincy Carter on Aug. 4, was 4 of 7 for 34 yards, including one 13-yard completion to Johnson. George ran for 12 yards on five carries.
* DOLPHINS 16, JAGUARS 5: Jay Fiedler and A.J. Feeley battled to a draw in their quarterback competition, with both helping Miami win at home. In the absence of Ricky Williams, the Dolphins won without a running game. Miami totaled 30 yards on 22 carries until undrafted rookie Fred Russell burst up the middle for an 88-yard gain in the final minute.
* LIONS 27, STEELERS 21: Joey Harrington completed passes to Charles Rogers on three of Detroit's first seven plays and the Lions held on to win at home.
* TITANS 24, BROWNS 3: Chris Brown ran for 46 yards on only six carries, and Steve McNair threw for a touchdown as the Titans downed visiting Cleveland in the exhibition opener for both teams. Brown, the Titans' third-round draft pick in 2003, missed the entire preseason last year because of a strained hamstring.
* VIKINGS 23, CARDINALS 6: Arizona Coach Dennis Green's return to Minnesota -- and to coaching -- was marred by penalties and a flat offense, and the Vikings won at home.
The Cardinals were flagged nine times for 72 yards. Starting quarterback Josh McCown went 4 for 6 for 29 yards in limited action.
* RAIDERS 33, 49ERS 30: Rich Gannon came out throwing in his first game back from shoulder surgery and looked like his old self. But Kerry Collins, his strong-armed backup, was the one who got visiting Oakland into the end zone and in the win column.
* COLTS 21, CHARGERS 17: Joe Hamilton completed a 12-yard touchdown pass to Bryan Fletcher with 11 seconds left to lift Indianapolis in San Diego. With top draft pick Philip Rivers still unsigned, Drew Brees started and completed 11 of 14 passes for the Chargers.
* BENGALS-BUCCANEERS PPD: The exhibition opener between Cincinnati and host Tampa Bay was rescheduled for tomorrow night because of Hurricane Charley.
Patriots, Watson Close
The agent for tight end Benjamin Watson, one of two unsigned NFL first-round draft choices, said yesterday that his client is close to signing a six-year contract with the New England Patriots and could report for training camp on Monday.