Prosecutors seized the hospital records Wednesday of two Greek sprinting stars who withdrew from the Olympics after they missed a doping test and were involved in a suspicious motorcycle accident, a government source said.
A source said on condition of anonymity that prosecutors visited the KAT trauma hospital and left with the records of Kostas Kenteris and Katerina Thanou.
Kenteris, the surprise 200-meter gold medalist in 2000, and Thanou, who took silver in the 100 meters in Sydney, could not be found at the Olympic Village for an Aug. 12 drug test. Hours later, they said they were involved in a motorcycle accident that happened because they were rushing back to the Olympic village to be tested. They spent several days in the KAT hospital with cuts and bruises and later withdrew from the Olympics.
Now, prosecutors are investigating the motorcycle accident and whether the two national stars were deliberately trying to avoid drug tests. Kenteris and Thanou have denied any wrongdoing.
In another development, a man who said he witnessed the accident was arrested Wednesday after police discovered he had an outstanding warrant against him for a fraud conviction in an unrelated case, a police and court source said.
At least two people, both unidentified, have told police they witnessed the accident -- including one who said he drove them to the hospital. All the witnesses talked to authorities after the two athletes were released from the hospital.
As part of the probe, fraud inspectors with Greece's Finance Ministry searched the offices of the sprinters' coach, Christos Tsekos, for six hours Monday, seizing documents and computers from his food supplements company in Athens.
Last week, inspectors from Greece's National Organization of Medicines raided the offices and a warehouse and confiscated some items that they said contained small amounts of anabolic steroids.
Government spokesman Theodoros Roussopoulos said Wednesday that the sports ministry gave prosecutors records indicating a number of companies, including one belonging to Tsekos, allegedly had received unauthorized subsidies from Greece's former socialist government.
"The prosecutor will announce the results of his investigation when it is over," Roussopoulos said when asked about the alleged subsidies, which he said were worth about $1.8 million.
Roussopoulos refused to say what the subsidies were for.
Two leading Greek newspapers, To Vima and Eleftherotypia, have in recent days published reports that the former socialist government, which lost to the conservatives in March elections, allegedly were approached by Tsekos with plans to help train numerous Greek athletes for a fee.
Tsekos and his lawyer have not commented publicly on the reports, and calls to their offices were not immediately returned. Senior officials in the former socialist government also have denied the claims.
Greece Files Protest Over Boxing Decision
Greece has lodged a protest over the controversial end to light heavyweight Elias Pavlidis's bout against Egypt's Ahmed Ismail, saying Ismail delivered several illegal hits that caused Pavlidis to become too injured to continue.
The Hellenic Boxing Federation lodged the protest shortly after the match ended Tuesday night in a storm of boos from a partisan crowd hoping to see Greece win its first Olympic boxing medal. Pavlidis took an 18-12 lead after two rounds, but referee P.K.M. Raja of Indonesia called off the fight because of serious cuts on Pavlidis's face.
The decision sparked a melee in Peristeri Olympic Boxing Hall, with fans throwing water bottles at the ring and forcing Ismail to run for cover.
Greece's protest claims "the Egyptian athlete . . . did not compete fairly, as can be seen clearly in the videotape."