Ralph Friedgen, successful by almost any standard in his three seasons at Maryland, has a won 10 games every year with the Terps, has won two of three bowl games, has a winning record against ACC and nonconference opponents -- but is 1-2 in season openers, losing the last two. So the season's first game is not always an indicator of success or failure; nonetheless, here's a look at how Maryland and Virginia have fared in openers.
* Is 66-43-2 (.604) in season openers.
* Is 52-26-1 when opening the season at home.
* Has won its past three season openers at home.
* Is 1-1 all-time against Northern Illinois; all three meetings, including today's, have been season openers.
* Previous coach Ron Vanderlinden was 3-1 in openers; 12-28 in other games.
* Is 74-31-9 (.689) in season openers.
* Is 6-14-2 when opening the season on the road.
* Had lost three straight openers before beating Duke, 27-0, last season.
* Hasn't won a season opener on the road since beating North Carolina in 1999.
* Is opening against a team that finished the previous season with a losing record for just the third time in the past 11 seasons.