LSU 22, Oregon State 21

-- LSU can thank an Oregon State kicker who could not make extra points for its season-opening victory.

Alexis Serna missed three extra points Saturday night, including one that would have forced a second overtime, and No. 4 LSU escaped with a 22-21 victory over the Beavers.

The defending BCS champion Tigers trailed throughout the game, were shut out in the first half, and behind 15-7 with 1 minute 38 seconds left.

The Tigers seemed sure to lose when they drove to the Oregon State 2-yard line and failed to score with 3:39 left.

But their defense gave them another shot.

The Tigers got the ball back for their final possession of regulation with 1:38 left. After JaMarcus Russell threw two incompletions, he hooked up with Dwayne Bowe for a 26-yarder then a 38-yard touchdown to cut Oregon State's lead to 15-13.

On the conversion, Russell ran to the left, stretched out the football and leaped into the end zone for two points to tie it at 15 and force overtime.

In the overtime period, Oregon State won the toss but deferred. LSU scored on its first possession.

Marcus Randall, who started the game at quarterback, came in when Russell was injured, and ran for a five-yard touchdown, giving LSU its first lead of the game, 22-15 with the extra point.

The Beavers weren't done.

Derek Anderson found Joe Newton with a 19-yard scoring pass, pulling the Beavers to 22-21.

Serna, a redshirt freshman who kicked a 40-yard field goal in the second quarter, sent the extra point wide right, giving LSU the victory.

A heavy storm moved over the stadium just before kickoff. Officials sent the players back to the locker rooms because of lightning in the area.

Kickoff was delayed almost an hour and the field was sloppy when play began.

LSU's offense was sloppy throughout. The Tigers showed no signs of the methodical offense that helped them win a championship last season.

Dwight Wright and his Oregon State teammates treated host Louisiana State rudely, but lost in OT.