Washington-Lee 2, Mount Vernon 1

Washington-Lee forward Emily Huston might be sorry to see this week come to an end.

Two nights after the junior scored twice in a 4-1 win over Edison in the AAA National District semifinals, Huston put away the game-winning breakaway with 4 minutes 17 seconds left in the final last night and lifted the Generals to a 2-1 win over visiting Mount Vernon.

"I almost want to say it was like Tuesday night," said Huston, who raced onto a pass from Natalie Sapp and beat the goalie with a shot to the corner. "I think our whole team worked to get it up there, and a beautiful pass gave me the opportunity to score."

The Generals (9-4) will face Langley in Monday's opening round of the Northern Region tournament, while Mount Vernon (5-9-1) will face Fairfax.

When Washington-Lee has encountered problems this season, it's come outside of district play. The Generals, while 1-4 in non-district games, didn't allow a regular-season goal in district play and, including tournament results, outscored National District opponents 18-2.

"I think we have a lot of confidence." Huston said about the upcoming regional tournament. "Some of the recent games we've played, we've won. I really think we can do well."

It took some time for the Generals to get going last night, especially after spotting the Majors a 1-0 lead on midfielder Shannon Strain's 14th goal of the season. There was a chance to tie late in the first half when Washington-Lee was awarded a penalty stroke. However, when the shot rolled wide of the goal, the resiliency of the Generals kicked in.

"I think that's a good indication that we can get scored upon, still keep our heads about us and come back." Washington-Lee Coach Susan Pacifico said.

"We were looking for that spark. The whole game we were looking for that one thing to get us going, to get our game moving and lead us to our big win."

Of course, 16 penalty corners in the second half didn't hurt the Washington-Lee cause either.

Sapp scored off of one of those corner chances, powering the ball high into the cage to tie the game at 1 with 24:26 to play.

Mount Vernon was able to make one final push, winning two late penalty corners that could have tied the game with less than two minutes to play. However, that final chance was cleared away.