TITANS 17 Chicago defensive ends Alex Brown and Adewale Ogunleye laughed, arguing at their lockers, trying to figure out who deserved credit for the final play.

The way this Chicago defense is playing, there is more than enough to go around.

Brown sacked Billy Volek in the end zone and knocked the ball loose, and Tennessee tackle Fred Miller recovered but was tackled by Ogunleye for a safety to give the Bears a 19-17 overtime win over the Titans on Sunday.

It was only the second time an NFL game ended in overtime on a safety. The first was Nov. 5, 1989, when Minnesota beat the Los Angeles Rams, 23-21, when Mike Merriweather blocked Dale Hatcher's punt and the ball rolled out of the end zone.

Brown said the important stat was the victory.

"The least we wanted to do was keep them down there, make them punt out of there, get a first down or two and kick a field goal. So we did our best, and we got some points out of it and won the game," Brown said.

The victory gave the Bears (4-5) their first three-game winning streak since the end of the 2001 season -- Chicago's last playoff appearance -- and kept them alive in the NFC North race.

Tennessee (3-6) gave Steve McNair another week to rest his bruised and aching chest, giving Volek the fourth start of his career. It turned into a sloppy, ugly game that featured 20 punts.

"I don't even know where to start since there were so many unusual things that happened," said Titans Coach Jeff Fisher, now 0-3 against the team he played for in the 1980s. "I never would have thought we would lose the game in overtime on a sack for a safety."

The Titans came up with five sacks and forced three turnovers while holding Chicago to 176 yards total offense, including just 38 in the first half. But Tennessee made some costly mistakes, including an interception returned for a touchdown and two fumbles by Chris Brown.

Chicago also got a touchdown on special teams, a 75-yard punt return in the third by R.W. McQuarters.

The loss left the Titans questioning what else they could have done on defense.

Cornerback Samari Rolle said the Bears' offense only gave its defense a breather by running on the field, and linebacker Keith Bulluck said he was left shaking his head, trying to figure out what happened.

"I'm dumbfounded," Bulluck said. "We gave up three points, and we're on the losing end of it."

Chicago's Alex Brown sacks Tennessee quarterback Billy Volek in the end zone, causing a fumble that led to the second game-winning, overtime safety in NFL history. The Bears also scored on returns of an interception and a punt.