Texas Rangers pitcher Kenny Rogers apologized yesterday for last week's tirade against two TV cameramen that sent one of them to the hospital and prompted a police investigation, but said he has not decided if he will play in next week's All-Star Game.

Rogers, who is appealing his 20-game suspension for the outburst, apologized to fans and the cameramen in his first public comments since the June 29 incident. He declined to take questions and said he was speaking against the advice of his lawyer.

"I feel compelled to come before you and express my deep regret for my actions," Rogers said. "An incident that should have never occurred."

Rogers read from a two-page, handwritten statement. He was soft-spoken and paused several times, but rarely looked up during his two-minute address in a room packed with reporters and about a dozen cameras.

When he started to walk away from the lectern, Rogers was asked if he planned to go to Detroit for the All-Star Game.

"I have made no decisions on anything else," Rogers said. "This is the incident I wanted to address and nothing else, I don't want to confuse anything else."

The 40-year-old left-hander (9-4, 2.45 ERA) was selected to the All-Star Game on the players' ballot. It was his second straight selection and third of his 17-year career.

Commissioner Bud Selig suspended Rogers and fined him $50,000, the same amount of the bonus in his contract for being on the all-star team. The players' association appealed the penalty, allowing Rogers to keep playing until after a hearing and a decision.

Last week, Rogers lashed out at the cameramen as they filmed him walking to the field for pregame stretching. The episode was captured on videotape and led to KDFW cameraman Larry Rodriguez being treated at a hospital after the camera was ripped from his hands and thrown to the ground. A day earlier, the pitcher ordered cameras turned off around him in the clubhouse.

Arlington police spokesman Christy Gilfour said Rodriguez and David Mammeli, a Fox Sports Southwest photographer who was first shoved but not injured, had filed assault reports.

* SCHILLING TO BULLPEN, FOULKE TO DL: With their closer struggling and their ace at partial strength, the Boston Red Sox will send Curt Schilling to the bullpen to plug a gap there and help him work his way back from an ankle injury.

Schilling has been on a minor league rehab assignment while trying to recover from the injury.

Boston closer Keith Foulke was put on the 15-day disabled list and will have arthroscopic surgery on his left knee.

-- From News Services

The Rangers' Kenny Rogers leaves the lectern after reading a statement of apology for his June 29 tirade against two TV cameramen.