Kenny Rogers's appeal of his 20-game suspension for shoving two cameramen was rejected yesterday by Commissioner Bud Selig, who deemed the behavior of the Texas Rangers pitcher to be "wholly unacceptable."
The commissioner, who heard Rogers's appeal in Milwaukee on Friday, said the suspension would begin with last night's game against the Orioles. Rogers declined comment.
Selig imposed the suspension and a $50,000 fine for a June 29 videotaped tirade in which Rogers, a three-time all-star, shoved two cameramen when he came onto the field for pregame stretching. Under baseball's rules, Selig decided the original penalty and also ruled on the appeal.
"Kenny Rogers's behavior towards the two cameramen who were present at the ballpark and doing their job on June 29th, was wholly unacceptable," Selig said in a statement. "While I listened carefully to Kenny Rogers's sincere explanation last week, I heard nothing that would warrant either eliminating or reducing the discipline imposed."
The players' association filed a grievance on July 8, and arbitrator Shyam Das scheduled an Aug. 8 hearing after Selig made his decision yesterday. Das turned down the union's request to stay the suspension pending the new hearing, saying he didn't think he had the authority, players' association general counsel Michael Weiner said.
* CLEMENT RELEASED FROM HOPITAL: Red Sox Medical Director Thomas Gill said that Boston P Matt Clement, who was released from a hospital yesterday after a second negative CT scan, will accompany the team back to Boston and be reevaluated by the Red Sox medical staff.
The 30-year-old all-star was carted from the field after a Carl Crawford line drive hit him in the right side of the head -- just behind the ear -- in the third inning Tuesday night.
"I just remember it ricocheting off my head and me hitting the ground and looking over toward first base with a kind of ringing sensation in my ear," Clement said yesterday. "It was more of a shock. I wouldn't call it intense pain."
Clement never lost consciousness and did not sustain a concussion, Manager Terry Francona said.
* LILLY STILL HURTING: Toronto LHP Ted Lilly was unable to throw on the side yesterday and Blue Jays Manager John Gibbons said he could be placed on the 15-day disabled list this week. Lilly was expected to miss just one start with biceps tendinitis.
-- From News Services