Linebacker Shawne Merriman, the 12th pick in the NFL draft, agreed to a five-year deal with the Chargers yesterday after he missed the first week of training camp.
Merriman, who played at Maryland and has been working out there, has a contract potentially worth $15.73 million, of which $9 million is guaranteed. The deal was structured so he'll get an early roster bonus of $1,244,000 rather than a signing bonus. He'll get an option bonus of $6.35 million, payable over the second, third and fourth years of the deal.
With Merriman's deal done, the Chargers' only unsigned player is all-pro tight end Antonio Gates.
* VIKINGS: Minnesota finalized a contract with first-round draft pick Troy Williamson.
The agreement with Williamson, a wide receiver picked seventh overall in the draft, left defensive end Erasmus James, the 18th overall selection, as the only Vikings rookie without a deal.
Williamson's deal contains some unusual bonus clauses and is essentially for five years. It includes $13.3 million in guaranteed money and could be worth up to a total of $32 million.
* LIONS: Detroit signed receiver Mike Williams after the 10th pick in the draft held out of the first few days of camp. Williams led Southern California in receiving yards and touchdowns as a sophomore in 2003, but has not played since.
* COLTS: A week after threatening to skip the team's exhibition opener Saturday against the Falcons, running back Edgerrin James said he would join his teammates on the flight to Tokyo. James, a two-time NFL rushing champion and three-time Pro Bowl player, does not like preseason games -- or flying.
* PANTHERS: Linebacker Chris Draft had an asthma attack that forced him to leave practice early.
* REHAB FOR ROBINSON: Former Seahawks receiver Koren Robinson has checked himself into a 28-day alcohol rehabilitation program in South Carolina.
Robinson pleaded guilty July 18 to a charge of driving under the influence, but he faces an additional probation violation charge because he had alcohol on his breath when he reported to serve a one-day jail term a few days later.
The Seahawks released Robinson in June after he was charged with drunk driving.