The Baltimore Orioles had declined to call off a planned ceremony for suspended slugger Rafael Palmeiro at Oriole Park at Camden Yards on Aug. 14, hoping privately that Palmeiro would ask for it to be called off himself.
And on Thursday, that is what happened as Palmeiro's agent, Arn Tellem, informed the team of Palmeiro's wishes that the celebration -- which would have honored Palmeiro's 3,000th hit -- be canceled.
"Given the circumstances," said Orioles Vice Chairman and Chief Operating Officer Joe Foss, "the club is in agreement with Rafael's wish to not move forward with the ceremonies."
On Monday, Palmeiro was suspended 10 days for violating baseball's steroid policy. He is eligible to play again on Aug. 11.
The Orioles also have taken down the large banner that hung from the B&O Warehouse in right field at Camden Yards, which congratulated Palmeiro on joining the exclusive 3,000-hit club. However, team officials said the banner would have come down anyway prior to the team's next homestand, which begins on Tuesday.
Earlier this week, the Texas Rangers, for whom Palmeiro played a total of 10 years in two tours of duty, canceled plans to honor Palmeiro during this weekend's series between the teams in Arlington, Tex.