"Batman" didn't let a little rain slow him down.

Bershawn Jackson, who earned his nickname as a kid because he had ears like a bat's and was so fast he seemed to fly, splashed to victory in the 400-meter hurdles Tuesday night, leading a 1-2 U.S. finish at the world track and field championships.

The race came after a severe thunderstorm swept in from the Baltic Sea, bringing torrential rains that suspended competition for nearly two hours.

When the competition resumed, the 22-year-old Jackson ran a personal-best 47.31 seconds despite a steady rain. It was the second-fastest time in the world this year. Teammate James Carter, fourth in the last two Olympics, was second in 47.43, also a personal best.

"I was so focused, I let nothing, neither rain nor the lightning stop me," Jackson said.

Americans nearly had a sweep, but Dai Tamesue of Japan edged 19-year-old Kerron Clement for third. Clement, who has the world's fastest time at 47.24, ran poorly in Lane 1, had his usual problem with a stutter-step over the final hurdle, and finished in 48.18, eight-hundredths of a second behind Tamesue.

"I'm young," Clement said, "and I'll be back."

Felix Sanchez, the two-time defending champion and Olympic gold medalist, pulled up with a right hamstring injury after the first hurdle. Sanchez was born and raised in the United States but runs for the Dominican Republic, where his parents were born.

That left Jackson in charge.

"Last year I had a lot of technical problems and I missed the Olympic team," he said. "This year I just wanted to show the world my talent. I'm very mature as far as running the hurdles, and I just want to be like Edwin Moses one day."

Then Jackson turned around, and there was Moses, the two-time Olympic gold medalist who won 122 consecutive races from 1977 to 1987. The two, who had never met, posed for pictures, Moses towering over the 5-foot 8-inch Jackson, who is unusually small for a 400 hurdler.

Normally, Jackson would have the name of his late uncle Richard Jackson on his trademark headband, but international federation rules wouldn't allow it. His family remained on his mind.

"I was very hungry today," Jackson said. "I couldn't wait any longer to take this gold medal. This win means a lot for me. I want dedicate it to my uncle and my 3-month-old daughter."

American Bryan Clay, the Olympic decathlon silver medalist in the Athens, held a 14-point lead over gold medalist and world record holder Roman Sebrle of the Czech Republic halfway through the 10-event competition.

The decathletes were in the midst of the high jump when the heavy rain moved in. They huddled under small shelters, then ran off the field when the sky turned black and lightning flashed. Some stubborn fans sat in the unprotected seats throughout the violent storm, though, and after a 1-hour 50-minute delay, the meet resumed.

With a soft rain falling, Zulia Calatayud of Cuba was a surprising winner in the women's 800 in a slow 1 minute 58.82 seconds. Hasna Benhassi of Morocco was second, followed by Tatyana Andrianova of Russia, the favorite. Two-time world champion Maria Mutola was a close fourth.

Saif Saaeed Shaheen of Qatar, the former Stephen Cherono of Kenya, won the 3,000-meter steeplechase with surprising ease. Shaheen, paid by oil-rich Qatar to run for that country since 2003, won in 8:13.31, extending his unbeaten streak to 22 races. Kenyans Ezekiel Kemboi (8:14.95) and Brimin Kipruto (8:15.30) followed.

The storm led to the postponement of the second round of the 200. That round and the semifinals will be held on Wednesday with the final on Thursday night. That gives 100-meter champion Justin Gatlin some extra time to recover after winning the 100 meters on Sunday.

All four U.S. sprinters -- Gatlin, Wallace Spearmon, Tyson Gay and defending champion John Capel -- made it through the first round earlier Tuesday. Gatlin was admittedly a bit off form two days after his 100 triumph.

"I feel a little sore, tired, like any person that runs fast," he said.

Bershawn "Batman" Jackson of the United States clears the final hurdle before winning the 400-meter hurdles. South Africa's L.J. van Zyl is on the right.Zulia Calatayud of Cuba is the upset winner of the women's 800 meters at the world championships, which were delayed for nearly two hours by a storm.