New England Revolution forward Taylor Twellman scored in second-half stoppage time in a 1-1 tie with the Crew last night in Columbus, Ohio.

Twellman's header from close range beat goalkeeper Jonny Walker for his 16th goal of the season. Twellman missed what had been the Revolution's best scoring chance when he hit the crossbar from only four yards out in the 86th minute.

Columbus forward Knox Cameron pounced on a loose ball inside the Revolution's six-yard box in the 66th minute for his fourth goal of the season.

The tie gave the Crew (9-14-4) its first point against New England in the final game of the teams' four-match season series.

The Revolution (15-6-7) had scored three goals in each of the three previous games against Columbus, but was frustrated yesterday by Walker, who made five saves.

* FC DALLAS 4, GALAXY 1: Roberto Mina scored two goals for the second straight game to lead host Dallas to victory.

It was the second victory in a row for Dallas after a franchise-record 10-game winless streak.

The win propelled the team into sole possession of second place in the Western Conference with 42 points. The teams entered the match tied in the battle for home-field advantage in the first round of the MLS playoffs.

Mina, a 20-year-old rookie from Ecuador, became the first player in Dallas franchise history with consecutive multigoal games, scoring in the 37th and 45th minutes.

* EARTHQUAKES 2, FIRE 0: Dwayne De Rosario scored early in each half, and host San Jose closed in on home-field advantage throughout the MLS playoffs with its sixth straight victory.

De Rosario got his second goal on a penalty kick in the 50th minute for San Jose (16-4-8), which improved to 13-1-4 over its last 18 matches, including a 10-match unbeaten streak since July 15.

Dallas's victory over Los Angeles prevented the Earthquakes from clinching the Western Conference's best record. San Jose hosts Dallas on Saturday.

* RAPIDS 2, REAL SALT LAKE 0: Jean-Phillipe Peguero and Dedi Ben Dayan scored goals as Colorado won in Denver. Rapids goalkeeper Byron Foss, making his first MLS start, stopped a point-blank header by Marvin Tarley in the 51st minute to save the shutout.