Jamie Christensen's 31-yard field goal as time expired lifted No. 6 Alabama to a 13-10 victory over Mississippi yesterday in Oxford, Miss.
Brodie Croyle finished with 234 yards passing and converted three third downs on the game-winning drive for the Crimson Tide (6-0, 4-0 Southeastern Conference), which looked out of sync against an inspired Ole Miss (2-4, 0-3) team looking for its first big win under new coach Ed Orgeron.
But the Tide shook off its sluggishness and made the plays when they counted to remain unbeaten heading into next week's showdown with rival Tennessee.
* WEST VIRGINIA 46, LOUISVILLE 44: Freshman Steve Slaton scored six touchdowns after halftime, including all three of the Mountaineers' scores after regulation, and West Virginia came from 17 down to beat the No. 19 Cardinals in triple overtime in Morgantown, W.Va.
Slaton put the Mountaineers (6-1, 3-0 Big East) ahead with a short touchdown run in the third overtime and backup quarterback Pat White, who entered the game after Adam Bednarik got hurt in the fourth quarter, found Dorrell Jalloh with a two-point conversion pass for a 46-38 lead. Louisville's Michael Bush answered with his fourth touchdown, but Brian Brohm was tackled by Eric Wicks short of the goal line on the two-point conversion try. Louisville is 4-2, 0-2.
* OHIO STATE 35, MICHIGAN STATE 24: Troy Smith threw three long touchdown passes and Ashton Youboty returned a blocked field goal attempt 72 yards for a score to lead the No. 15 Buckeyes to a home win over the No. 16 Spartans in a game in which Ohio State didn't run a play in Michigan State's territory until just over five minutes remained.
Ohio State's first play in Michigan State (4-2, 1-2 Big Ten) territory was Smith's 46-yard touchdown pass to Santonio Holmes that gave the Buckeyes (4-2, 2-1) the lead for good with 4 minutes 56 seconds left.
* BOSTON COLLEGE 35, WAKE FOREST 30: Kevin Challenger made a foot-dragging catch for a 26-yard touchdown at the end zone sideline with 1:18 left as the No. 14 Eagles rallied from early and late deficits to win in Boston.
The Eagles (6-1, 3-1 ACC) fell behind 17-0 on a wet and windy day with five turnovers, a blocked punt and no fewer than 10 dropped passes. BC trailed 30-21 with 3:24 left when Matt Ryan replaced Quinton Porter for the final two drives.
* MIAMI 34, TEMPLE 3: Kyle Wright threw four touchdown passes in the first 19 minutes, leading the No. 7 Hurricanes to victory in Philadelphia over the woeful Owls. The Hurricanes (5-1) completely outclassed Temple (0-7), jumping to a 27-0 lead in the first quarter.
* TEXAS 42, COLORADO 17: Vince Young ran for three touchdowns and passed for two more, and the No. 2 Longhorns posted a convincing win over the No. 24 Buffaloes in Austin.
Young was flawless running and passing in the first two quarters, scoring on runs of 1, 16 and 9 yards. He also threw a 35-yard touchdown pass to Limas Sweed that made it 35-3. The Longhorns improved to 6-0, 3-0 Big 12. Colorado is 4-2, 2-1.
* OREGON 45, WASHINGTON 21: Kellen Clemens threw for 425 yards and four touchdowns as the No. 20 Ducks (6-1, 1-1 Pacific-10) won at home. Clemens completed 36 passes, an Autzen Stadium record, with no interceptions as the Ducks handed Washington (1-5, 0-3) its 11th consecutive loss against a Pac-10 conference opponent.
* OREGON ST. 23, CALIFORNIA 20: Yvenson Bernard rushed for a career-high 185 yards and the go-ahead touchdown with 6:41 to play, and the Beavers snapped the No. 18 Golden Bears' 10-game home winning streak. The Golden Bears are 5-2, 2-2 Pac-10. The Beavers are 4-2, 2-1.
* TCU 38, ARMY 17: Jeff Ballard passed for two touchdowns and ran for two more as the No. 25 Horned Frogs (6-1) held off a charge from the Black Knights (0-6) in Fort Worth.
* UCLA 44, WASHINGTON STATE 41: Maurice Drew had a one-yard touchdown run in overtime and Drew Olson threw for five scores as the No. 12 UCLA came from 21 points down to beat the Cougars (3-3, 0-3 Pac-10).
The Bruins (6-0, 3-0) snapped a four-game losing streak to the Cougars and posted their first win in Pullman since 1993.
* GEORGIA 34, VANDERBILT 17: D.J. Shockley threw three touchdown passes, Thomas Brown rushed for 91 yards and the No. 5 Bulldogs won in Nashville. Shockley remains undefeated as a starter along with the Bulldogs (6-0, 4-0) who have a two-game division lead in the SEC East.
* AUBURN 34, ARKANSAS 17: Kenny Irons rushed for a career-high 182 yards, and Brandon Cox threw three second-half touchdowns to lead the No. 21 Tigers to the road victory.
The Tigers (5-1, 3-0 SEC) won for the 20th time in 21 games. They have beaten 13 straight SEC opponents.
Irons, a transfer from South Carolina, was replaced by Brad Lester as Auburn's No. 1 tailback earlier in the week. But Lester left in the first half with a strained right groin, and Irons finished with 33 carries.