Wisconsin 38, Minnesota 34

Jonathan Casillas blocked a punt and Ben Strickland recovered it in the end zone with 30 seconds left to complete a stunning rally and lift No. 23 Wisconsin to a 38-34 victory over No. 22 Minnesota on Saturday.

With the Golden Gophers leading 34-31, Justin Kucek lined up to punt at the Minnesota 5. Kucek dropped the snap, picked up the ball and tried to get the punt off, but Casillas raced through for the block. Strickland recovered it for the winning score.

It was a shocking turn of events for the Badgers (6-1, 3-1 Big Ten), who appeared to be headed for their second loss in a row after failing to complete a comeback bid in last week's 51-48 loss at Northwestern.

"When you think you've seen it all, you haven't seen it all," Wisconsin Coach Barry Alvarez said.

The Gophers (5-2, 2-2) led 34-24 with 3 minutes 27 seconds to play after Gary Russell's second touchdown of the day.

But the Badgers came right back, driving 71 yards in 1:17 and pulling within 34-31 on John Stocco's 21-yard touchdown pass to Brandon Williams.

Ken DeBauche's onside kick hit off of Minnesota's Trumaine Banks and was booted by a Badger all the way down the field. Laurence Maroney, who rushed for a career-high 258 yards, fell on the ball at the Minnesota 11.

After running all over Wisconsin the entire game, the Gophers couldn't move the chains one last time, setting up Kucek's punt.

Casillas's big play stunned Gophers fans, and whipped the legion of red-cloaked Badgers fans into a frenzy.

Minnesota's Jakari Wallace fumbled on the ensuing kickoff and DeAndre Levy recovered. The Badgers ran out the clock and then paraded Paul Bunyan's Axe around the Metrodome turf.

It would be hard to imagine a more improbable victory in this 115-year old rivalry.

Tied at 10 at halftime, the Gophers completely controlled the action in the second half, rushing for an astounding 411 yards, including a career-high 139 yards from Russell.

Wisconsin players celebrate in an end zone of the Metrodome after Jonathan Casillas blocked a punt and Ben Strickland recovered the ball for a touchdown.