As the minutes ticked down in yesterday's Virginia AAA field hockey quarterfinal game between undefeated Stafford and Cox, Indians senior Lindsay Shacklette's sense of urgency rose. Last year, Stafford lost a heartbreaker in the state semifinals to Princess Anne and Shacklette wasn't about to let this season slip away.

With the score tied at 1, under three minutes left and Stafford about to attempt a penalty corner, Shacklette called for her shot. She controlled the corner and deflected it high off a Cox defender into the goal to give the Indians (22-0) a victory at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond and a berth in today's semifinals.

"Our whole theme this year is that we have unfinished business to take care of," Shacklette said. "My coach [Robin Woodie] on the sidelines said, 'Shack we have unfinished business.' I thought about it and knew I had to do it."

The Northern Region's two representatives in the quarterfinals -- Marshall and W.T. Woodson -- also won their games at VCU, beating the Central Region representatives. Marshall shut out Prince George, 5-0, while W.T. Woodson beat James River, 3-0. Eastern Region champion Princess Anne defeated Culpeper, 6-1.

Cox (20-2-1), Virginia's field hockey giant with 13 state championship banners, gave the Indians all they could handle. The Falcons dominated possession early and eventually broke through for a goal with four minutes left in the first half when junior Taylor Harrell camped out on the left post and made the most of a rebound chance.

Just over a minute later, junior Jackie Tate deflected a long shot into the net to even the score, on the Indians' first shot of the game. Stafford maintained its intensity from that point on, controlling the ball in the second half, leading to Shacklette's goal. . . .

Marshall junior Gina Cappiello and W.T. Woodson senior Lizl Gericke continued their respective scoring streaks. Cappiello had the Statesmen's first two scores against Prince George. Gericke blasted two goals off penalty corners in the first half to lead the Cavaliers. Today Marshall (19-5) takes on Princess Anne (18-3-1) in the first semifinal at 5 p.m. Stafford plays W.T. Woodson (20-2-1) at 7.

St. John's Girls Win

Sophomore Tiffany McCarty scored with 17 minutes left and freshman Remi Gibba clinched it with seven minutes left as visiting St. John's (20-5,14-4) defeated top-ranked Good Counsel (17-3-4), 2-0, in the semifinals of the WCAC girls' soccer tournament.

Bishop Ireton (18-3) upset third-ranked O'Connell, 1-0, in the other semifinal and will face St. John's in the final at 6 p.m. tomorrow at SoccerPlex in Germantown.

Cardinals senior forward Gwen Holdgriewe scored the game-winner with 10 minutes left in regulation.

-- Liam Dillon and

Andrew Levine