Dear Readers: At the end of a busy summer, it is time to take care of yourself for the coming busy fall! Adjusting your lifestyle by losing weight, working out more or quitting smoking is a struggle for most, but it can be done! Here are some hints to KEEP YOU MOTIVATED, from my most recent book, “Handy Household Hints From Heloise”:
* It is easier to manage several small goals instead of one large one. Try to get through just one day without smoking or binging on sweets and fat-laden foods.
* Reward yourself for small successes. Catch the latest film you’ve wanted to see, book a spa appointment or lounge in a warm bath.
* If you slip up, don’t punish yourself. It is normal to have an off day. Just keep pushing forward, and don’t give up!
* Goals are easier to reach if you have a good support system.
P.S.: Know that I’m with you! Every day really is a new day to get started or start over.
FILL THE GAP
Dear Heloise: I dropped a pen between my car seat and the console. This prompted me to figure out a way to prevent a recurrence.
At the hardware store, I discovered pipe insulation. It cost less than $4 for 6 feet. I cut two pieces off and pushed one between the driver’s car seat and console, and the other between the passenger’s seat and the console. The material is darkish-gray foam and is flexible, and the color blended with my car’s interior. -- Linda H., Omaha
Dear Readers: Dennis in San Antonio sent in a picture of his 5-month-old foster Labrador retriever, Bella. Bella is a snuggle bug who loves to play with her squeaky toys. She was rescued from a full shelter. To see a picture of Bella and our other Pet Pals, visit www.Heloise.com and click on “Pets.” -- Heloise
P.S.: Bella found a wonderful and loving home!
Dear Heloise: I wash my kitchen sponges several times a week in the washer, and they wear out quickly. When they start to get ratty and I no longer want to use them in the kitchen, I write “bath” on them with a large black marker and use these sponges just for the bathroom. -- A Reader in Houston
A BEVY OF HINTS
Dear Heloise: I would like to share some of my hints:
* For the hard-to-swallow pills (vitamins, etc.), take them with soft foods, like yogurt, applesauce and oatmeal. No more problems.
* After squeezing a lemon or lime, cut up the rind into strips and freeze in a freezer bag -- great to add to water and other beverages needing a pretty twist.
* When changing earrings, dab a little hand sanitizer on your fingertips, then touch the post and the earlobe. They slip in quickly and easily, and are sanitized, too.
-- Angela C., Port Charlotte, Fla.
Send a hint to