For those not familiar with Dumbarton Oaks Park, it’s 27 acres of wilderness and Italian romanticism, all hidden away in the northern boundaries of Georgetown. It, along with the Dumbarton Oaks mansion and gardens, formed the original Dumbarton Oaks estate.
Robert and Mildred Bliss bought Dumbarton Oaks in 1920. They soon after hired Beatrix Farrand — an influential landscape architect who had already established her reputation with her work at the White House and the National Cathedral — to reshape the gardens and grounds of the estate. Farrand, for her part, had studied extensively the Italian renaissance style of gardens and brought that expertise to bear on her work for the Blisses.
[Continue reading Topher Mathews’s post here at The Georgetown Metropolitan.]
Topher Mathews blogs at The Georgetown Metropolitan . The Local Blog Network is a group of bloggers from around the D.C. region who have agreed to make regular contributions to All Opinions Are Local.