The latest in food news, ideas and philosophy, just in time for your lunch break.
* The deadly European E. coli strain is not even on America’s watch list. (WaPo)
* “It also allows the headspace to have little epiphanies. My first was that gardening has a lot more to do with encouraging death than life.” (Food & Think)
* Raw milk outlaws. (WCP)
* “The new plate is a throwback, an echo from an era when government didn’t cower on the sidelines in one of our most important domestic debates. Let’s hope it is a first step toward a Super-Sized serving of government leadership.” (Jane Black)
* A new crop of cookbooks, harvested and inspected. (NY Times)
* Trump’s pizza adventure forces Jon Stewart to play the role of a Gambino heavy. (Eater)
* Get to know your Japanese whiskey. (Connosr, Distilled)