Every year we come together for the sacred Hootenanny chat to celebrate the wonders and atrocities of our holiday seasons. This year Carolyn will be online at noon Friday to take your questions and comments about what ruined your holiday last year, or how to navigate a sticky holiday situation this year. If you have a particularly good personal holiday story, Carolyn wants to hear that, too.
Last year we took the Hootenanny to a new level by giving it its own soundtrack, curated by you. It was such a hit that we’re bringing it back!
We want to hear your most beloved and reviled holiday songs. So we invite you to open up another tab in your merry little browser, don your earbuds and join us at turntable.fm. Instructions for joining and DJing are below. Feel free to login anytime to start building your Christmas song playlist.
If you have any trouble, then just post to the comments section below. We’ll keep an eye on it. Thanks and happy DJing!
How to listen:
1. Go to turntable.fm. Log in with your Twitter or Facebook account. (Turntable will not post anything to your Facebook wall or Twitter stream without your permission).
2. Search rooms at the top of the screen by typing “Hax Holiday.” Click into the room titled “Hax Holiday” If you can’t find it, try this link (only works if you are logged in): http://turntable.fm/hax_holiday
3. Music should begin playing. You can mute at any time by clicking on the stereos.
4. Your name or Twitter handle will appear with an avatar and a little speech bubble identifying which of the characters in the room is you. To change the name that appears with your avatar, click on “Settings” at the top of the page and select “Edit Profile.” Change the “Display Name” to any name you want and click save. You can also change your avatar’s appearance here.
5. You can chat with fellow readers on the bottom right.
6. If you like a song, click the “awesome” button at the bottom of the screen. If you dislike it, click the “lame” button. If enough people “lame” a song, it will be skipped.
How to DJ:
1. Occasionally, DJ spots up “on stage” open up. To start DJ’ing you will need to have songs added to your “DJ Queue.” To add songs to your DJ Queue, click “Add Songs” on the right. Search for song titles or artists in the search box or upload music. Click the plus sign to add songs to your queue.
2. When you have songs in your queue and you see a “Play Music” bubble over a DJ spot, click on the spot. This will transport your avatar image up to that spot. The first song in your queue will play when it is your turn.
3. We ask that DJ’s play a maximum of three songs and then vacate your spot to another DJ. You can jump back in if another spot becomes available later. We reserve the right to boot any bad DJs, so no “November Rain.”
4. You can quit DJing by rolling your mouse over your avatar and clicking “Quit DJing.” This will make you part of the audience again.