It’s already midseason in the minor leagues, and that means it’s time for several all-star games. Five leagues will put their top players on display Tuesday night, with the low-Class A South Atlantic League holding its game at the home of the Delmarva Shorebirds in Salisbury, Md.
Other Nationals chosen off the Hagerstown Suns are right-hander Taylor Jordan, left-handed reliever Chris Manno, catcher David Freitas, third baseman Blake Kelso and Manager Brian Daubach. Joining Machado from the host Shorebirds are Manager Ryan Minor (as a coach), left-hander Jacob Pettit, right-handed reliever David Walters, catcher Michael Ohlman and third baseman Tyler Kelly.
Here are a few other all-stars of note:
* Virginia alum Dan Grovatt, an outfielder in the Pittsburgh Pirates system, is on the same Northern Division roster as the Suns and Shorebirds players. One of his college teammates, right-hander Andrew Carraway, is a Class AA Southern League all-star for the host Jackson (Tenn.) Generals, a Seattle Mariners farm team. The Southern League game will be held Tuesday night.
* The Carolina League all-stars will travel to Modesto, Calif., for a matchup with the best players from the California League. That high-Class A game features Potomac Nationals outfielder Destin Hood and Manager Matthew LeCroy, as well as a pair of Orioles prospects in right-hander Bobby Bundy and first baseman Tyler Townsend.
* Daytona Cubs first baseman Justin Bour (Westfield, George Mason University) was chosen for the high-Class A Florida State League game, set for Saturday night in Clearwater, Fla.
* Left-handed reliever Justin Wright (Forest Park, Virginia Tech) will represent the host Quad Cities River Bandits and the St. Louis Cardinals as a low-Class A Midwest League all-star Tuesday night in Davenport, Iowa.
* W.T. Woodson graduate Mike Bianucci, who played at Auburn, is an all-star designated hitter in the Class AA Texas League, which has a June 29 showcase in San Antonio. He plays for the Texas Rangers-affiliated Frisco RoughRiders.
The other Class AA league, the Eastern League that includes Nationals and Orioles affiliates in Harrisburg and Bowie, will not play its all-star game until July 13. The Class AAA game is scheduled for that same night in Salt Lake City. The Futures Game, designed for elite prospects throughout baseball, will be July 10 in Phoenix, two days before the major league game.