The Washington Post

Poll Watchers: Twitter, Israel and Palestinians, Newt Gingrich

• More Americans tweeting – The social network known for its brevity is booming in the young adult cohort. Internet users ages 25 to 34 doubled their Twitter usage from 9 to 19 percent in seven months, catching up with their younger cohort – those under 25. It’s spreading with the older crowd, just not as quickly. Thirteen percent of all online adults use Twitter, up from 8 percent last November, according to a survey released Wednesday by the Pew Internet Project. Fully 25 percent of online African Americans and 19 percent of Hispanics tweet, compared with 9 percent of whites.

• Americans side with Israelis over Palestinians – Continuing a long-term trend, Americans sympathize more with Israelis than Palestinians by a 67 to 16 percent margin according to a CNN poll conducted in late May following Barack Obama’s May 19 speech on the state of the Middle East peace process. Sympathy with Israel is up slightly from 60 percent in 2009. At the same time, 65 percent of the public says the United States should not take either side in the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. Among the rest of the public, 35 percent say the U.S. should take Israel’s side while just 1 percent favors backing the Palestinians.

• Gingrich less popular among the GOP – 2012 presidential candidate Newt Gingrich’s favorable ratings fell from 68 to 61 percent among Republicans and GOP-leaning independents in late May, according to a Gallup poll released Tuesday. The drop follows Gingrich’s criticism of proposed changes to Medicare in Rep. Paul Ryan’s (R-Wis.) budget on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” The Post’s Chris Cillizza and Aaron Blake assess the implications of the controversy for Gingrich’s prospects in the Republican primary contest. 

Scott Clement is the polling manager at The Washington Post, specializing in public opinion about politics, election campaigns and public policy.

The Freddie Gray case

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!

Campaign 2016 Email Updates

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!

Get Zika news by email

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!
Show Comments
Most Read


Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Close video player
Now Playing