This post has been updated. An earlier version incorrectly stated that city officials canceled the cleanup. Zuccotti Park is privately owned and decisions about its cleanup are made by Brookfield Properties.

Despite city officials announcing a planned cleanup of Zuccotti Park had been canceled, some violence bubbled up in lower Manhattan on Friday morning.

A New York City police officer runs over a National Lawyers Guild observer as Occupy Wall Street demonstrators march through the streets near Wall Street. (Mary Altaffer/AP)

Earlier today:

In the early morning in downtown Manhattan, Occupy Wall Street protesters started to gear up for what some considered the first major threat to their nearly-month long residence at Zuccotti Park. Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg (I) had told the protesters that police would enforce a request from Brookfield, the private owners of the park, to eject the encampment for a cleaning at 7 a.m. Friday.

Zuccotti Park near Wall Street on Oct. 11. (Emmanuel Dunand/AFP/Getty Images)

The crowd erupted in cheers, and an impromptu march to Wall Street began in celebration:

Many protesters called the park owner’s about-face a victory for the movement:

After Bloomberg’s announcement, a massive protest began with vevuzelas, drums, and chanting. Nearby resident Evan Fogel reports that because of a police barricade, he can’t leave his apartment. (Evan Fogel)

“Late last night, we received notice from the owners of Zuccotti Park — Brookfield Properties — that they are postponing their scheduled cleaning of the park, and for the time being withdrawing their request from earlier in the week for police assistance during their cleaning operation. Our position has been consistent throughout: the City’s role is to protect public health and safety, to enforce the law, and guarantee the rights of all New Yorkers. Brookfield believes they can work out an arrangement with the protesters that will ensure the park remains clean, safe, available for public use and that the situation is respectful of residents and businesses downtown, and we will continue to monitor the situation.”