The Humane Society recommends putting together an emergency plan for your animals.
Here are some top tips:
* Bring pets indoors and provide a comfortable, safe space for them during rain and severe weather;
* Make sure all pets – even those that live indoors – are wearing identification collars;
* Store at least three days worth of extra food and water for your pets and your family;
* Keep pets’ medication, first aid supplies, leash and carrier on-hand;
* Create a list of hotels or shelters that allow pets, especially if you live in an area prone to evacuation or if your home typically loses power; and
* Let family, friends and neighbors know your plan.
Also, as we learned from dog owners during Snowmageddon, having a bathroom plan for dogs can be helpful in case they are stuck inside during severe weather.
Share tips by leaving a comment below.