Some improvement possible by the weekend

Flash flood watch thru Wed. p.m. | Hurricane Tracking Center

Today’s Daily Digit
 
A somewhat subjective rating of the
day’s weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

 
Lots of rain, clouds, back-to-work, blah, blah.
 
Get the ‘Digit’ on Twitter
EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Cloudy, showers, and storms. 69-74. | Tonight: More showers and storms. 60-68. | Tomorrow: Mostly cloudy, showers, storms. 76-82. | Get Express Forecast by E-mail

FORECAST IN DETAIL

Slow-moving remnants of former Tropical Storm Lee linger over us the next several days, keeping a near-constant canopy of cloud cover with shower and thunderstorm threats. Rains could be heaviest in the mountains, but the entire area runs the risk of flash flooding, especially today into this evening. The energy associated with Lee is forecast to stall and weaken west and north of our area. By the weekend, this pesky, soggy weather system should wind down enough to give us somewhat drier, sunnier weather chances.

Today (Tuesday): After last night’s deluge, allow extra time for commuting. Rains may continue to be heavy at times today, especially west of town. Today’s rain should add another 0.5” to 1.0” to gauges with locally higher amounts especially west of the city. Showers, storms, clouds, and light winds from the north offer the coolest day of the week. Highs range from the upper 60s into the lower half of the 70s. Confidence: High

Tonight: Showers and storms continue to affect our area with a 70% chance of them through the late evening hours and then a 30% chance by midnight into the early morning hours. Precipitation totals ranging from .1” to .25” with heavier localized amounts, especially west of the city. Cloudy skies, light winds, and lows ranging through the 60s. Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend...

Tomorrow (Wednesday): Somewhat of a warm front shifts through our area and our winds start arriving from the southeast. This shift enhances our humidity a bit more, but could also allow our temperatures to push up into the mid-70s to around 80 in between showers and storms. Odds of showers and storms are still high at 70% and we may have to watch for the possibility of a few weak tornadoes. Precipitation totals range from .25” to .5” with localized .75” or higher, especially west of the city. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow night: More showers and storms (60% likelihood. decreasing late at night) under mostly cloudy skies and temperatures ranging from the mid 60s to around 70. Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

Thursday and Friday find us in the same air mass with mostly cloudy skies, frequent shower and storm chances (70% Thursday and 60% Friday), and daytime peak temperatures ranging from the upper 70s to low 80s. Precipitation chances are stronger during the afternoon and evening hours each day. Thursday night aims for partly to mostly cloudy skies with more showers and storms likely (60% probability) with lows from the mid 60s to around 70. Friday night should see similar temperatures, but also a 40% chance of showers/storms. Confidence: Medium

The weekend should start to see improvement as Lee’s remnants fade, but we still run the 40% risk of showers and storms each day with partly sunny skies and highs in the upper 70s to near 80. As usual, the best chance of precipitation comes in the afternoon and evening hours due to daytime heating assistance. Lows Saturday night in the low-to-mid 60s in the suburbs to the upper 60s near 70 in the city. Confidence: Low-Medium.