The Washington Post

PM Update: Rush of cool autumn air arriving; showery weekend

The cloudy, moldy month of September is thankfully about history, but October’s opening isn’t exactly promising. Cold air piles in tonight. Then an energetic disturbance aloft follows and stalls over the region for the weekend. That means a blustery, unsettled Saturday and perhaps more of the same Sunday.

Through Tonight: Temperatures undergo a steady fall. Starting the evening near 70, they dip into the 40s (cooler suburbs) to near 50 by early morning. Skies are generally cloudy, and a few light rain showers could develop pre-dawn. Winds come in from the west at 10-15 mph.

Saturday and Sunday: Both days are mostly cloudy, breezy (10-20 mph winds from the west, with higher gusts) and much colder with highs 55-60. Patchy light rain and showers are likely Saturday (60% chance), with more widely scattered showers (30-40% chance) and possibly occasional breaks in the clouds on Sunday. Saturday night is cloudy and quite cool, with a 40% chance of showers. Lows are 40-45.

See Camden Walker’s forecast through early next week (although note Monday may be slightly cooler and cloudier than indicated, with a slight chance of showers). And if you haven’t already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Pollen update from Walter Reed: Mold spores are HIGH, all other pollen types LOW.

Texas just beginning long-term mega-drought?: Texas state climatologist John Nielsen-Gammon says Texas’ exceptional, historic drought may last through 2020 due to La Nina and trends in Pacific ocean temperatures. See more from Eric Berger, the Houston Chronicle SciGuy.

Jason is the Washington Post’s weather editor and Capital Weather Gang's chief meteorologist. He earned a master's degree in atmospheric science, and spent 10 years as a climate change science analyst for the U.S. government. He holds the Digital Seal of Approval from the National Weather Association.

The Freddie Gray case

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!

Campaign 2016 Email Updates

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!

Get Zika news by email

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!
Show Comments
Most Read


Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Close video player
Now Playing