The Washington Post

PM Update: Scattered storms tonight, hot tomorrow

Excessive heat watch Thursday | Code orange air quality Wed.

Heat and humidity levels overachieved today, with temperatures reaching the mid-90s and peak heat indices nearing 105. The atmosphere is juicy, and scattered thunderstorms are likely through the evening, especially in the northern suburbs. For Wednesday, it’s remains hot but is very slightly less humid than today with little chance of storms.

Through Tonight: There’s a 50-60 percent chance of storms north of the District and a 30-40 percent chance elsewhere. Storms that form are likely to produce very heavy rain and dangerous lightning, and possibly strong winds. To say it will be muggy is an understatement. Overnight lows range from the upper 70s downtown to the low 70s in the cooler suburbs.

Tomorrow (Wednesday): We’ll have more sunshine than today, so the mercury should have little trouble reaching the mid-90s. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few upper 90s. Dew points drop a few degrees - from the low 70s to near 70 - but few will notice the difference. It remains downright sultry with peak heat indices 100-105.

See Matt Rogers’ forecast through early next week. And if you haven’t already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Pollen update: Walter Reed reports grass pollen is MODERATE, with tree pollen, weed pollen, and mold spores LOW.

NY Times story on broadcast meteorologists: Worth a read - As Weather Becomes Big Story, TV Forecasters Play the Hero

National Weather Service wants your feedback: Only 10 days left! The National Weather Service needs your comments and suggestions as it assesses improvements to its data dissemination architecture. User requirements gathering phase ends July 31st and this is your opportunity to better inform the NWS of your current and future product and service needs. Provide input

Jason is currently the Washington Post’s weather editor. A native Washingtonian, Jason has been a weather enthusiast since age 10.


Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Show Comments
Most Read


Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Your Three. Videos curated for you.
Play Videos
What can babies teach students?
Unconventional warfare with a side of ale
A veteran finds healing on a dog sled
Play Videos
A fighter pilot helmet with 360 degrees of sky
Is fencing the answer to brain health?
Scenes from Brazil's Carajás Railway
Play Videos
How a hacker group came to Washington
The woman behind the Nats’ presidents ‘Star Wars’ makeover
How hackers can control your car from miles away
Play Videos
Philadelphia's real signature sandwich
Full disclosure: 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 1 ghoul
Europe's migrant crisis, explained